[SmartCrawl Pro] Canonical Links

I'm having an issue with Smartcrawl's handling of canonical links - I get a negative point raised by Smartcrawl for not having canonical links, if I change the setting to allow these then I get an equally negative report for having redundant canonical links! I've looked and looked and there doesn't seem to be anywhere in the settings where this issue can actually be addressed and the report doesn't actually advise any action. Am I missing something? Or is it just that this issue cannot be fixed by Smartcrawl, only reported?

• James Morris

Hello Rob

I've spoken with the Lead Dev of the plugin and he has provided the following feedback.

If he does has the canonical link, be it redundant or not, he will have this saying:
    The canonical link tag is being used on your site. Having said that, the preferred URL for search results points to <code>%s</code>, which seems to be redundant.
    or
    The canonical link tag is being used on your site. <code>%s</code> is set as the preferred URL for search results. Verify this is correct, as canonical tags are often hard-coded and may not always reflect the latest changes.
    (if not redundant) :point_up: both as info level messages. Info level doesn't add bad score

If he does not have canonicals, he will have this message:
    Duplicate content spread across multiple URLs can have a negative impact on your page rank. Using a canonical URL for products or content that is accessible under multiple URLs or websites can allow them to exist without harming your rankings.
    as a warning level message
    Warning does add bad score.

I hope this clarifies a bit.

Best regards,

James Morris

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.