[Smartcrawl Pro] Can’t save smartcrawl setting on subsites.

https://lifeco*******rien.be/wp-admin/admin.php?page=wds_settings is a subsite that you can check and try to change settings in smartcrawl. It is not working in my subsites, tons of strange issues, I can not change the smartcrawl settings since smartcrawl became network only activation.

  • Pawel
    • Staff

    Hello Avatar !

    Hope you’re having a good day!

    I’ve checked for possible sources of this issue and it seems like your site is using almost all the resources on your current host. That especially applies to RAM and swap space usage, which is what’s actually causing an out-of-memory error in PHP while trying to save the settings in Smush (as seen in the logs).

    The PHP process which is handling the saving isn’t exceeding the memory limit set for PHP, as it’s only trying to allocate ~128MB (way below our limit). It’s the host itself running out of memory, as both RAM and swap space are currently around 95% full. So even trying to allocate a bit of more memory to handle the saving causes an error.

    This may be a time for an upgrade, seems to me at the moment. But I also asked the hosting team to review your host and check if they have any additional info from logs I don’t have access to. I’ll share further feedback with you here as soon as I get it. I’ve set up a reminder to check periodically if the admins answered my request.

    Kind regards,

  • Pawel
    • Staff

    Hello again Avatar !

    I’m back with news about the memory issue. The hosting team has ran some additional checks and procedures on your hosting to help fix that as much as we can. They cleaned up autoloads, flushed the server-side cache, did some updates on the database server configuration and purged all data from swap space, which temporary freed a bit of memory. I’ve started to test the SmartCrawl setting issue after that, but it still wasn’t fixed.

    After a while of testing, I checked your site’s server analytics and noticed that RAM is filling back and this causes the swap space to be filled up also. RAM is currently full again to 90-95% and swap is at 66%. So it seems that it may in fact be time for upgrade or for optimising the site to limit the amount of RAM usage.

    Besides upgrading, checking out services such as CloudFlare may be a good idea for now, as it may allow you to keep the current plan.

    As for the SmartCrawl saving options issue – I’ve created a staging site because I wanted to run a plugin conflict test, but as it happened, the issue wasn’t present on staging. Which is very odd, as it’s the same site on the same server, so there should be no difference. I’ve asked the developers of SmartCrawl to take a look at your site and give me some feedback as to what can be causing this. They are still checking.

    In this case, we’d like you to run a quick plugin conflict test on the production site. Here’s how to do it:

    First, create a recent backup in case you lose any settings during the test and have to restore to a previous working state.

    Then deactivate all plugins and MU-plugins apart from SmartCrawl and our Dashboard, activate a default theme like TwentySeventeen, clear all caches and check again if the issue is still there. If not, it means that something is conflicting, so start activating the remaining plugins and theme, one by one this time, checking every time for the reported issue, until you reproduce the issue, thus finding the conflicted combination. The following flowchart image can assist you during this test: https://premium.wpmudev.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/Support-Process-Support-Process.gif

    Reference: https://premium.wpmudev.org/docs/getting-started/getting-support/#chapter-2

    Please report any findings to us after you’re done testing.

    Kind regards,

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.