SmartCrawl Pro - FK Readability Score

Hey there! This is more of a feedback rather than a support issue.

I was working on one of the pages on my site and found the readability score to be really low (36/100) with SmartCrawl Pro but when I tested on other sites (check out the attached screenshots), the score is quite acceptable.

So, I was wondering if there is something with SmartCrawl that I am not getting right, or if there's a different way SmartCrawl works.

If it helps, I am using:
WordPress 5.02
Elementor v2.3.8
Elementor Pro v2.3.1

• Dimitris
    • Support Star

Hello there EDWIN,

hope you're doing well and thanks for reaching us! :slight_smile:

Could you please grant temporary support access via WPMUDEV Dashboard plugin? No need to share any WP admin credentials. Just navigate in WP admin area under WPMU DEV -> Support page and click on the "grant support access" button. You can find detailed information about it here: https://premium.wpmudev.org/docs/getting-started/getting-support/#chapter-5
    Please do reply back here when access is granted because we don't get any notifications about it.

Warm regards,
    Dimitris

• Nastia
    • Support Rock Star

Hello EDWIN

Hope you're doing well!

The Smartcrawl returns test results for only Flesch-Kincaid readability test. The online tool like this one used to scan for readability, it is returning a score for few tests:
    - Flesch Kincaid Reading Ease
    - Flesch Kincaid Grade Level
    - Gunning Fog Score
    - SMOG Index
    - Coleman Liau Index
    - Automated Readability Index

It takes into the account the results from the listed readability tests and returns an average value.

Here are results from https://www.webfx.com/tools/read-able/

Flesch Kincaid Reading Ease = 65.7
    Flesch Kincaid Grade Level = 5.7

To calculate the score that SmartCrawl returns, it takes
    (Flesch Kincaid Reading Ease + Flesch Kincaid Grade Level)/2

So (65.7+5.7)/2=35.7, which is close to 36. It returns 36 because SmartCrawl readability test does not return decimal values.

Hope this explanation will help. Let us know if you have any further questions.

Kind regards,
    Nastia

• Lemon Media
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Good day, Nastia.

Based on what you say, then it would be correct for me to simply assume that Smart Crawl's maximum possible score is definitely not 100. Suppose that I get 100 on my reading ease and 1 on the grade level, the maximum possible score I can get is only 50.5/100 for Smart Crawl, is that correct?

Cheers

• Dimitris
    • Support Star

Hello there EDWIN,

hope you're doing well today and please excuse my late response here.

I've already forwarded this to our associated SmartCrawl developers for some additional insights on this. Me or another colleague of mine will keep you posted here as soon as we have some news from them.

Warm regards,
    Dimitris

• Dimitris
    • Support Star

Hello EDWIN,

just got some feedback from our developers. :slight_smile:

It seems that previous statement from Nastia isn't correct, as the total possible score is 100 and is getting calculated like this:
    http://www.readabilityformulas.com/flesch-reading-ease-readability-formula.php

Our developers are thinking about re-writing this score though, so it's easier to get higher results, as this algorithm is pretty strict.

I'm really sorry for the mess here, let me know if there're any more queries on that subject.

Warm regards,
    Dimitris

• Lemon Media
      • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hey Dimitris! Thank you for getting back.

Based on the link provided above, it would be how the standard flesch score is calculated. However, the issue with Smart Crawl is its calculations though, since the score on other grading sites are around the same with the exception of Smart Crawl's scoring at nearly half the average I am getting.

Nonetheless, it's great to hear that the developers are considering to re-write the score. Hope to hear the good news soon!

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.