[SmartCrawl Pro] Google Preview not showing in Google search

The SmartCrawl page metadata (“SEO Title” and “Description” ) shows me a nice preview of the appearance in Google Search.

The actual appearance when I find the page on google.com is not the same as in the SmartCrawl Google Preview.

I’ve tried empty the cache in Hummingbird Pro several times and i’ve tried different browsers also emptying the browser cache.

Does my SEO Checkup button have to be green before the Google Preview appears on google.com search? Or am I missing a setting somewhere?

• Adam Czajczyk
    • Support Gorilla

Hi Casper Friis Olsen

I hope you’re well today and thank you for your question!

I’m afraid Google can be a bit “unpredictable” sometimes and “forcing” it to show specific description is not quite simple. They used to use “description” meta tag but it’s no longer like that and their algorithms may decide to use something else:

As they explain here https://support.google.com/webmasters/answer/35624?hl=en

Meta description tags: Google sometimes uses tag content to generate snippets, if we think they give users a more accurate description than can be taken directly from the page content.

which basically means that content of the description meta tag should be as “natural” and relevant to the specific page (and descriptive) as possible, not “keyword stuffed” also. And they may – just “may” – use that to generate snippet on search page.

In some cases, search engines may overrule the meta description a webmaster has specified in the HTML of a page. Precisely when this will happen is unpredictable, but it often occurs when Google doesn’t think the existing meta description adequately answers a user’s query and identifies a snippet from the target page that better matches a searcher’s query.

[https://moz.com/learn/seo/meta-description]

I think it wouldn’t also hurt to keep those description tags “in sync” with OpenGraph meta tags content (so descriptions would be consistent) but ultimately it’s quite a “one-sided” and unclear decision of Google search algorithms.

Kind regards,
    Adam

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.