[SmartCrawl Pro] hreflang meta

Can we add hreflang support to Smartcrawl?

• Race Media
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

Thanks Andy.

Almost all of ours are in english but we have over 100 different countries targetted – so for us it is more about telling search engines which pages are most relevant to which country.

hreflang meta is the most appropriate way to do that.

• Andy
      • Product Design Lead

Race Media Ahh right! Got muddled with languages (which we have support for in Sitemaps coming soon). Reading further into hreflang tags I can see now it’s more around localization, and it appears you can take it quite specific too (cities/regions). In essence it appears to be a relatively simple feature to add so I don’t imagine it’ll be long away :wink:

What else is missing that you’d find helpful. Given the number of sites you are running I am always keen to hear from seasoned pros :rocket:

• Race Media

Thanks Andy – yes spot on. We use to for localisation but it can also declare languages

Example : es-es vs es-en

Potential features:

* Shortcodes for dates like [year] [month] [day] which can be used in seo meta that will auto show dates one SEO title – example : “Best Widgets 2019” written in smartcrawl as “Best Widgets [year]

*An alert or reminder that can be added to a page or post to return and update a page after a preset period of time

* Robots.txt editor

* Control over rich snippets/schema on a page by page and post by post basis as well as sitewide

would be a bonus

* Not sure on this one but think they sitemap might be capped at 1000 urls? Ability to increase that would be useful

• Andy
    • Product Design Lead

Race Media Awesome, great list and thanks for this!

– Robots.txt editor = coming soon.

– 1000 URLs cap = sitemap splitting coming soon (will solve this).

And the others I have logged, we are just working on cleaning up SmartCrawl and fixing up bugs that have been left too long and then we’re diving head first into some awesome improvements!

Cheers,

Andy

• Andy
      • Product Design Lead

Hi Race Media ,

Things are coming along nicely and a bunch of them will be in the wild soon, alongside some other major improvements not mentioned here. After that we’re working on full schema control and the language side of things. Things take a bit of time to ensure the proper testing and dev processes are followed. Keep checking in, you’ll see some good upgrades coming through shortly.

Thanks!

Andy

• Andy
    • Product Design Lead

Race Media I am getting onto the hreflang tags, but I’m a little stuck with the most appropriate way to implement it. There are three common ways to add them:
    – In Post Editor, per page.
    – Sitemap
    – HTTP Headers

I don’t think we’ll opt for HTTP headers at this stage. The way I see it, the other two options are adventageous in different ways…

– In Post Editor = Fine control on a per page basis, however, cumbersome to bulk-add variations on a more global level. I.e. specifying an entire Spanish version of the best.

– Sitemap = Much easier to add global rules, however, requires the user to be using our Sitemaps functionality, and the UI to do things at the post/page level could be complex.

How would you ideally use this feature? Just so I can get an idea of how best to implement.

Thanks!
    Andy

• Andy
      • Product Design Lead

P.s. Related to your comments above… Shortcodes/variables like {{year}} etc are coming to the post editor very soon. Robots.txt editor and the splitting of sitemaps beyond 1000 URLs are being released in SmartCrawl 2.4, up next, and I’m also currently designing automated schema output, followed by a fully custom schema output editor for per-page specification – exciting stuff!

• Race Media

great news!

Looking forward to all these with anticipation.

The hreflang we use mostly around static content (pages) and have been doing it on a page by page basis.

I can see massive advantages to being able to do it visually at sitemap level as can get confusing.
    Example
    Pagexx (default
    Pagexx/US (US)
    Pagexx/ES (ES)
    Pagexx/AU (AU)

This would be easier to coordinate at a sitemap level for sure to make sure all the appropriate references were in place. I know from experience get the self references right and the full references on each relevant page can be consuming.

We do use your sitemaps for all the smaller sites. Hoping we can change now the full split sitemap features will roll out.

• Andy
      • Product Design Lead

Awesome, thanks for this Race Media – perfect. I think we’ll go for the Sitemap level. That way you can select which page to add a hreflang option for, choose the languages/locales and then save them against the sitemap – add as many as you like and modify them over time. They would stay dynamic too, I.e. if the URL slug changed of the base page, the others would update accordingly (if matched).

Cool, I think we’ll nail this! And yes, the split sitemaps is intended to cater for huge sites.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.