[SmartCrawl Pro] Please review SEO warnings for home pages

I suggest the following SEO warnings don\'t apply to a home page:

\"Content is shorter than 300 words \" : A home page doesn\'t need to be verbose. A full article on a home page can chase away a visitor. Home page content in sections/widgets often comes from many sources.

\"No images found\": Shouldn\'t warn when there is no featured image. It\'s not necessary on a home page where images might be in sidebars. sliders, the header image, etc.

\"No internal or external links\" : The menu and sidebars are adequate for homepage navigation.

\"Slug has no keywords\" : Slug might be \"home\" or \"welcome\". It\'s irrelevant when this page is the static default home page. Note that on Ignore the text for this warning changes to \"Slug contains keywords\", which is exactly the opposite of what it should be.

• Adam Czajczyk

Hi Tony G,

I hope you're well and thank you for this feedback.

As for your first three suggestions. Personally, I tend to slightly disagree with you, I hope you don't mind it. The problem here is that while you're right on how most of the homepages work/are structured/designed, it's not a rule and not 100% of possible cases. Search engines wouldn't care much whether that's a homepage or not but would analyze the content anyway so if a homepage is actually different than what you described - and is somehow unique to the site and important in terms of content - those SEO suggestions from SmarCrawl start to make a lot of sense suddenly :slight_smile:

I think that taking both those points of view into account, a solution could be something "in between" - an option to simply switch off those checks (either all of them or even separately) for the homepage if one consider's they're not necessary there :slight_smile:

The fourth suggestion makes perfect sense to me, though. All in all, if it's a homepage then the "keyword in slug" should actually mean a "keyword in domain name", which, by the way, is something Google crawlers doesn't actually like now if they detect that it might have been done on purpose to "cheat" search engines :slight_smile:

Having that said, I've forwarded all these suggestions directly to the SmartCrawl lead developer for his consideration. While I have let myself to express my personal opinion above (I hope you don't mind that), he's certainly more experienced with "seo logistics", so to speak, so he'll be the right person to be informed about that :slight_smile:

Best regards,
    Adam

• Tony G

I think that taking both those points of view into account, a solution could be something "in between" - an option to simply switch off those checks (either all of them or even separately) for the homepage if one consider's they're not necessary there

Agreed. I don't believe in "one size fits all". There are few "absolutes" with things ike this so I think options are better.

About opinions - I absolutely value your opinion and everyone else's. I have preferences that might be mis-founded for lack of experience, lack of knowledge, or just not thinking through various consequences. Keep it up bud. We learn from others, what's right, what's wrong, and alternatives. That's how we improve with our craft!

What I never like, and I never see it here at WPMU DEV, is when someone suggests that a preference is "wrong" simply due to a difference in preference. This leads to rigid software and less than cordial feelings between consumer and provider. I never mind being wrong. I just don't like it when a different world view limits how I want to use my tools. That does happen elsewhere, with individuals and institutionalized with some companies. I'm glad that attitude is not present here.

All that is related to my recent load of feedback here ... please don't hesitate to tell me I'm wrong or that there is a better way to do anything. :slight_smile:

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.