[SmartCrawl Pro] Reference poor Google score

Here is a reply from the hosting company I have been taking of plugins and testing but no change so far what should the Hummingbird pro and Smart crawl pr be doing to help?

Hello John,

You can check the following test for more information - https://developers.google.com/speed/pagespeed/insights/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fmotorhomescampervans.net%2F

Scroll down to the information and you will notice that a huge part of the slowness comes from render-blocking content. That is caused by the site's theme and extensions which are loaded before the site starts painting. This is also known as render-blocking javascript.

Functionality javascript files should be loaded after the site's css loads which is causing the low scores. I would recommend that you discuss that with your developer so he can assist you with the optimization of the site and remove the render-blocking scripts.

Best Regards,

Arto Simonyan
Senior Technical Support

• Adam Czajczyk

Hi John

I hope you're well today and thank you for your question!

I checked the PageSpeed report and the score for "desktop" is actually high, currently reaching 99 which is a very good result. The speed is also very nice as the "first render" is 0.8s and "time to full interactivity" is only 1.2s. These are great results and I'd say that even if there are still some tips given there's nothing to worry about and in my personal opinion, it wouldn't be worth effort.

It's different, however, with the "mobile" for which the score is indeed rather low (29 currently) and the speed is also much worse (3s to first render and over 12 to full load). Such a big difference between these two (desktop and mobile) suggest that some much more serious changes might need to be done.

The SmartCrawl plugin is a SEO plugin and PageSpeed is not about SEO. The plugin resources are also not referenced anywhere in PageSpeed "tips" on render blocking resources so I we should safely ignore it (the fact that something's related to Google doesn't necessarily mean that it's also SEO - hence SmartCrawl - related!). Hummingbird might help though.

I see that your host already explained what "render blocking resources" are. When you go to "Hummingbird -> Asset Optimization -> Assets" page you'll see a list of CSS and JS files there. For each file there's a set of buttons there:

- for CSS files: "compress", "combine", "move to footer", "inline"
    - for JS files: "compress", "combine", "move to footer", "force load this file after the page is loaded".

In case of your setup, ignore the first two - "compress" and "combine" - but you'd want to "play" a bit with two other. The point is to move to footer, inline and "force load this file...." as many files from the list as possible without breaking the site. It's time consuming and mostly "trial and error" procedure but should help for "render blocking resources". It might not eliminate them entirely but should minimize as much as possible.

How to set that up? Well, that's a bit daunting task so the preferred way to go would be to take first file from the list, enable those options for it, save settings, load the front end of the site, wait a moment so Hummingbird could process the files and then check entire site to see if it's working fine. If it is, proceed with next file on the list, if not, experiment with those two options for the file (for various files these options may be enabled both or only one of them or none, that's the "experimental" part) until you got as many enabled as possible and yet, the site is still working fine.

Once that's setup and the site is working, you got resources optimized as much as it's possible.

At that stage, the only way to optimize it further would be to actually do some bigger changes on site: reviewing theme code and adjusting it if possible or even switching to some other theme that handles "mobile" version of the site better, replacing some plugins with their alternatives or even custom developed code and so on. That's, however, something that requires a development work so I'd suggest starting with that Hummingbird optimization.

Once that's done, you might also consider using some alternative approach to mobile versions with a help of a plugin such as WPTouch that detects mobile devices and actually loads a completely different theme for them:

https://wordpress.org/plugins/wptouch/

It's worth checking, though note please that it uses special themes for mobile (not "just any WP theme") and as far as I remember in a free version there's only a limited selection of those.

Best regards,
    Adam

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.