[SmartCrawl Pro] SmartCrawl Category Issue

Hi Guys,
I am just trying to sort out Smartcrawl on the above site before we release it later this week. In the Title and Meta, Taxonomies, Categories, there seems to be an issue. If you add the default %%category%% instead of getting the category title, you get a list of all the categories hierachy which doesn't really match the page at all.
As an example, on page http://webxopt.info/brnz/category/product/industrial/ you would want the Title to be
"Industrial - B&R Enclosures - New Zealand"
however instead I get
"Ancillary Items, Climate Control, climate-control-industrial, Industrial, Product | B&R Enclosures - New Zealand"
This is a list of some (but not all) subcategories, the category, then it's parent category. Not really what I wanted or would expect and there seems to be no option to simplify it short of manually editing each category.
Is there any way to fix these up within SmartCrawl?
Thanks
Simon

• Adam Czajczyk
    • Support Gorilla

Hello Webxopt

I hope you're well today and thank you for your question!

I took a look at the example page that you shared and I think I'll need to ask you for some additional explanation.

This is not WooCommerce but some "custom structure" on the site (created by theme? some other plugin?), right? The URL structure suggests that it's actually not an "archive/listing" page but instead rather a single page that just has some sort of "listing" in it. Could you explain a bit more how this is all set up?

I'm asking because the way SmartCrawl fetches necessary data and creates titles is depending on that. Maybe you could open support access to the site so I could just take a look at how that's configured/structured?

I won't make any changes without your prior consent but it would be easier if I could review that - I'd then try to replicate similar configuration on my end and look for solution.

You can enable support access on "WPMU DEV -> Support -> Support Access" page in your site's back-end, just let me know here once it's done, please.

Best regards,
    Adam

• Webxopt
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

Hi Adam,
    You are right, I forgot all about this as I pretty much add it to every site! I use the plugin "Post Tags and Categories for Pages" - https://wordpress.org/plugins/post-tags-and-categories-for-pages/ which now I look at it is getting a bit old now.
    What this does is enable you to tag and categorize pages as you would posts, and it appears in the archive of that category/tag.
    As for the template, the loop is essentially: -

<?php
    			/* Start the Loop */
    			while ( have_posts() ) : the_post();
    				/* Include the post format-specific template for the content. If you want to
    				 * this in a child theme then include a file called called content-___.php
    				 * (where ___ is the post format) and that will be used instead.
    				 */
    			?>
    			<div class="entry feature-box">
    				<a href="<?php the_permalink(); ?>"><?php the_post_thumbnail( 'full', array( 'class' => 'aligncenter' ) ); ?></a>
    				<div class="copy" style="padding:20px;">
    					<h2><a href="<?php the_permalink(); ?>" rel="bookmark" title="Permanent Link to <?php the_title_attribute(); ?>"><?php the_title(); ?></a></h2>
    					<p><?php the_excerpt(); ?></p>
    					<?php $link = get_permalink($post->ID);?>
    					<p><a href="<?php echo $link; ?>">More...</a></p>
    				</div><!-- copy -->
    			</div><!-- entry -->

<?php
    			endwhile;
    			twentytwelve_content_nav( 'nav-below' );
    			?>

So this is pretty standard I think. Is there something in the head I should look out for? This includes the code: -

?php //do_action('wp_head') ; ?>
    <?php apply_filters ('wp_title' , '|', true, 'right' ) ; ?>
    <title><?php wp_title( '|', true, 'right' ); ?></title>

So it's a little more custom than I remember!

• Adam Czajczyk
    • Support Gorilla

Hi Webxopt

Thank you for additional information.

It seems that was the "right shot" and that category plugin is "messing up" here. I have tested it on my own setup and I could replicate the problem. By default pages are not categorized in WordPress and it seems that this plugin is adding that feature in a way that interferes with SmartCrawl (and probably some other plugins as well but I didn't test it).

The plugin seems to be a bit "abandoned" and since it wasn't update for 2 years already I suppose it won't be updated any time soon and most likely it will eventually get removed from the repository but since it's still available and is working, I have reported the case to our developers so they could take a closer look at what's happening and if we could address it in SmartCrawl code in one of the future releases.

Thank you for reporting it and I'm glad you were able to find a working workaround for this (thanks for sharing it with us also!).

Best regards,
    Adam

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.