SmartCrawl Pro update slowed down the site.

I updated the SmartCrawl Pro and the site load time became slower. When I rolled back the SmartCrawl, I lost a lot of data on my home page.

I had to re-integrate the Instagram and re-setup the facebook widget. The site speed was restored after the rollback but.

• Kasia Swiderska
    • Support nomad

Hello JazzyDan,

I apologize for inconvience.

I have tested your theme with SmartCrawl and I wasn’t able to replicate the issue with missing data or broken widgets (I had an older version of SmartCrawl, I’ve set up meta tags and widgets, then I upgraded and again downgraded plugin). Would you mind providing support access so I could have a look on your site configuration? In case I would miss something.

As for the slow site. I spoke with the developer as this was reported also for other sites with page builder and they suggested using this define in wp-config.php

define('SMARTCRAWL_FORCE_REWRITE_TITLE', 'true');

That should fix all the problems of latest SmartCrawl and Page builders – including slowness of the site.

I understand that you don’t want to risk to update the plugin on live site again, so I would strongly suggest taking a backup or first testing this on the staging site.

kind regards,

Kasia

• JazzyDan
    • The Crimson Coder

This is a live site, please do not test or change anything on the site. But I have enable support so you can check the configuration against your test site.

I won’t be putting this version of Smartcrawl on any of my sites so do not need the define. (for obvious reasons)

Thanks

Dan

• Kasia Swiderska
    • Support nomad

Hello Dan,

Thank you for the access – I have changed PHP version to the same as on your site, used child theme this time and repeated again the whole process but widgets were still working and metadata was still there. Also, the site wasn’t getting slower with the latest version.

Is the possibility to create a staging site of this live site so we can troubleshoot that further?

kind regards,

Kasia

• JazzyDan
    • The Crimson Coder

Any news on this, its still broken from my end.

I tried the 2.2.7 update on another site with the same theme, and that site is broken as well now.

Again the meta data from another page (blog post) replaces the meta data on the home page.

And all the custom settings for the page (managed by the theme) are lost.

This is terrible.

Please help.

When is the next update due?

• Kasia Swiderska
    • Support nomad

Hello JazzyDan,

I’m sorry to hear about those issues you are having with SmartCrawl. Do you have a backup for that other site you could restore?

I don’t have any ETA on the next SmartCrawl update as our developer is still working on it.

But it would be really helpful for us if you could create a staging site from one of the sites where you did update and it caused all these issues as we are not able to replicate them on our test sites.

kind regards,

Kasia

• Kasia Swiderska
    • Support nomad

Hello JazzyDan,

I can see there is Managed Backup on that site and backups are done. In this case I will dowload whole backup and restore it on my lab site and the perform the update and monitor what is being broken.

Is 15th October backup from before latest SmartCrawl update or should I tried with the one from 8th? Let me know.

kind regards,

Kasia

• JazzyDan
      • The Crimson Coder

Any news, still experiencing this issue on many sites, even after updating the theme and all plug-ins to their current versions.

On updating pages, all meta data is lost, and page settings are lost.

This is not helpful or fun. Having to recreate metadata for various pages, and losing SEO points!

Please fix this.

• Nithin
    • Support Wizard

Hi JazzyDan,

Sorry to hear that the issue is still ongoing in your side. We had tested this further by running the backup down in our test site, and we were able to notice issue with meta tags on homepage losing it’s settings, and on giving a closer look the developer was able to notice a conflict with Movedo Extension plugin, as it seems to be changing the $post global to a different post for some odd reason.

Updating SmartCrawl without Movedo Extension seems to keep the setting in SmartCrawl intact. Maybe this could be related to cause the site to slow down, however the issue with slow site load wasn’t something we could replicate in our side though.

Since you did mention you are noticing the issue in many sites, does it have Movedo plugin installed in there? Are all these sites hosted in the same server, or different ones? Could you also list those sites, and enable support access to those sites, so that we could give a closer look at those too.

Our developer is currently working on a fix, which could be implemented in the SmartCrawl release to make sure such issue could be resolved down the plugin side, we’ll keep you posted once we have a patch regarding this asap.

Regards,

Nithin

• JazzyDan
      • The Crimson Coder

Ok I have asked the theme developers to give some info to see if they can help you resolve this issue. As I really need it fixed soon.

They have asked if you can share any more information, in particular to the $post global issue.

This seems to have broken since 2.2.2.1 so its something you have changed recently.

Thanks again

Dan

• Kasia Swiderska
        • Support nomad

Hello Dan,

I’m sorry for the delay, I was waiting for the developer to give me more details.

So in SmartCrawl, in a post metabox global $post; is used, and it gives us the post currently being edited. And on your site when Moved plugin is active it gives a different post.

I’m not sure if this will be enough information for Moved developers to see why this is happening.

I spoke with the developer about fox for that and they are going to improve that for the 2.2.4 version of the plugin.

We had a lot of requests for SmartCrawl working with Page Builders, so in the fields for the meta tags there will be real content and SEO Analysis of the post and pages built with builder will work better.

Unfortunately, that improvement introduced those other issues :slight_frown: – but hopefully it will get better with future versions of SmartCrawl.

I apologize for all the inconvenience.

kind regards,

Kasia

• JazzyDan
    • The Crimson Coder

Yes all my sites use the same theme MoveDo. As discussed its a compatibility issue between the theme and plug-in which you have fixed once already in the past. So I don’t understand why its broken again and its taking so much time to fix again!

I can’t give you access to all my sites as they are live sites and most don’t have staging versions.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.