Smartcrawl readability does not recognise Avada Fusion content

Hello WPMU DEV and the wider family of users.

I have a few sites that use the Avada (ThemeFusion) theme and it seems that Smartcrawl doesn't recognise the page content for readability purposes.

See my screenshot from the below link;
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/rytxer65sey0bnt/AAAWaEYuf1Uc8PyHTlv5LAOSa?dl=0

Can anyone shed any light and advise on how I can get the readability working as it should?

Thanks & regards,
Kevin (Jaargo)

• Predrag Dubajic

Hi Kevin,

Hope you're doing well.

Page builders like Avada's Fusion builder use shortcodes in order to generate content, so when you add some text to your page via builder it also adds bunch of shrortcodes around it that makes it difficult for SmartCrawl to figure out any meaningful content.

I have moved this thread to our features and feedback section and notified our developers so we can see if we can do anything to go around the shortcodes created by page builders.

Best regards,
    Predrag

• Jaargo

Hi Predrag - I'm well thanks - I hope you are too.

Thanks for the feedback. I was thinking that the short-codes may be the problem, however, not all of the page content is made up of short-codes.

Yes, the site is built using Fusion containers but a lot of the content uses text editors for example and not as a placed short-code.

Also, I had Yoast installed previous to Smartcrawl Pro and Yoast was picking up the content & providing me with readability scores so I automatically presumed that Smartcrawl Pro would be able to do the same.

Thanks for forwarding to the developers but any other advice on this this would also be greatly appreciated.

Kind Regards,
    Kevin

• Jaargo

Hi Predrag & thanks again for the update.

Just one last question;

If there is no way for SmartCrawl Pro to read the content, then how does it know that I have or haven't used keywords, H1 heading tags etc?

The report seems to suggest that SmartCrawl Pro is reading my content and providing feedback on what has or hasn't been done with my SEO, however it cannot provide readability reports.

How is it that it knows what keywords have been used when it cannot read the content?

Thanks & regards,
    Kevin

• Jaargo

Thanks all for the updates & further info.

The bottom line is that the SmartCrawl Pro readability feature is basically redundant if you're using Page Builders of any kind.

For me, this is a small negative and the positives of the other SmartCrawl Pro features & other WPMU DEV products out-weigh this issue for me so I for one will continue with my WPMU DEV subscription for now.

In saying this, it would be good if WPMU DEV could invest so time into finding a way to fix this as Yoast seem to have done as it' a feature which can be very helpful in SEO & page content.

Thanks & regards,
    Kevin

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Jaargo,

I hope you're well today!

The bottom line is that the SmartCrawl Pro readability feature is basically redundant if you're using Page Builders of any kind.

If a given page builder is either building a site in most parts out of shortcodes or it's "building up" content dynamically out of some non-standard "pieces" upon site being rendered in user's browser, that might be a problem, indeed. As my colleague Predrag mentioned, that's already been put on a a "to do" list by our developers and they'll take care of it. I'm not able to give you an ETA but they'll introduce some additional tweaks/fixes for readability check in future, specifically addressing cases like this. I hope that's a good news :slight_smile:

Nathan

Yes they have their own page builder as well, Cornerstone. It’s the same situation with the page being built in short codes.

Yes, you're right. The good news is that when SmartCrawl will be able to handle Avada Fusion Builder's content properly, it will most likely be able to process Cornerstone content as well (if it's also built upon shortcodes). I mean, I would expect that the solution here will be focused rather on "handling/filtering shortcodes" rather than specifically "hooking up" to selected builder. But even if not, I think it would be relatively easy then to add "fixes" for additional builders like Cornerstone.

Best regards,
    Adam