SmartCrawl readability issues with Spirit theme

I just installed SmartCrawl and started using it and my 'Contact Us' page shows 'Readability: No content to check' in SmartCrawl although there is text.

I tried deactivating the other plugins and switching to 2017 theme and the issue disappeared, so seems that this is a conflict with the Spirit theme.

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Reinhard

I hope you're well today and thank you for your question!

The SmartCrawl detects "no content" on Contact Us page with Spirit theme on your site because actually... there is no content :slight_smile:

I've checked your site and the Contact Us page is set using "Text" upfront modules. Those modules are "just text", they are not fetching content from WordPress back-end (post/page). In other words, if you know go to edit Contact Us page in WordPress back-end of your site and change the content there, it won't change on Contact Us page in Upfront.

The "Text" module of Upfront should be considered as a "design element" rather than "content" element. When SmartCrawl analyzes that, it doesn't see the content because it's not actually fetched and displayed there. The solution for this is to edit the "Contact Us" page in Upfront and turn it back to "content version" this way:

- remove both "Text" modules from page
    - in that place drag&drop "post data" element from "Draggable Elements" panel, two time, one below another
    - enter "settigns" for that element (little "gear" icon in top-left corner of the element on the page) for the top one and select "title only" preset and click OK
    - do the same for the second element but select "the content" preset

Click "OK' and update everything. The readability test should work fine now.

Kind regards,
    Adam

• Reinhard

Adam,

totally makes sense. Yes, it works as described. I've overseen that specific Upfront feature. Thanks for reminding me.

Another thing and I hope you can help with that as well. I see the message 'Good news! We located the robots.txt file and search engine crawlers have access to do their job. However, we haven't been able to find any sitemap information in it.' And I'd like to know how I can update the robots.txt file. Is there a feature available in SmartCrawl as it is in Yoast?

• Adam Czajczyk

Hi Reinhard

I'm glad I could help!

As for the robots.txt file. WordPress by default is using a virtual robots.txt file, though in some cases it's possible that there is a real/physical one on the site.

So, to handle that warning, please do as follows:

1. Access the server via FTP (or cPanel File Manager) and look if there's a "robot.txt" file in a root folder of your site's WordPress install (the same folder where the wp-config.php file is). If you see it there, it would include lines like these:

User-agent: *
    Disallow: /wp-admin/
    Allow: /wp-admin/admin-ajax.php

If so, you should be able to add sitemap definition there as well by adding this add the end of the file:

Sitemap: https://invizzen.com/sitemap.xml

2. If there is no physically existing "robots.txt", you can add it to virtual robots.txt file with a simple MU plugin:

- create an empty file with a .php extension (e.g. "add-sitemap-to-robots.php")
    - put following code inside (using some clean text editor such as e.g. Notepad++, Sublime or cPanel's File Manager built-in editor)

<?php 

# Append directives to the virtual robots.txt
    add_filter( 'robots_txt', 'robots_mod', 10, 2 );
    function robots_mod( $output, $public ) {
        $output .= "\nSitemap: https://invizzen.com/sitemap.xml";
        return $output;
    }

- then upload the file to the "/wp-content/mu-plugins" folder of your WP install; if there's no "mu-plugins" folder inside "wp-content" folder, just create an empty one.

Best regards,
    Adam

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.