Smartcrawl replaces relative with Absolute URL's

Right now if i go to smartcrawl and put in /franchise/ to redirect to /opportunity/franchise/

When I hit save, Smartcrawl automatically injects an absolute URL. so this is breaking all Auto Tagged variables google puts on ads, such as:

such as https://something.com/franchise/?utm_source=helloworld

It returns a 404 vs being redirected

• Ash
    • WordPress Hacker

Hello forthgear

SC currently doesn't support regular expression for 301 redirect, so when you add a query string, it doesn't work.

For now, you have to add the query string with the part of the URLs in the 301 redirect settings on SC.

Though, I believe it could be a nice feature, so I am marking this as a feature request request for now. Let's see how other members think about this.

Have a nice day!

Cheers,
    Ash

• forthgear
    • The Incredible Code Injector

Ash, Not quite sure Luis wrote this properly and combined multiple conversations him and I had, we were on live chat for over 3 hours testing this. This is flat out a bug...

If you go to smartcrawl and say...I want to redirect . /franchise/ to /opportunity/franchise/ It replaces those URL's with an absolute URL even though your plugin documentation states you can do Relative URL's. (which it does not)

This next portion might be considered a feature request but is rather serious.

The campaign tracking variables are a very serious issue...if you see this as a feature request then I would put this at your top priority. If you have a website that runs any paid ad campaign, and you supply Campaign Tracking Variables such as ?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc you will be able to properly track conversions which is the primary reason you should even have a website. It's marketing 101....

With your plugin if I provide those variables, and then need to perform a 301 redirect, your plugin will return a 404 error because it's doing ABSOLUTE URL's. This is a big no no in the marketing world and i'm shocked that i'm catching this.

I'm assuming your team is accustomed to the more layman person using your smartcrawl plugin. We are a fully integrated marketing firm and it's as if you're team is late to the game understanding what SEO is, how paid ads work and how impactful your plugin is having on the results of a marketing direction..

If we have a customer paying $100,000 per month to google for paid ads, and your plugin decides to return a 404, that's a potential $3,333 of expense not to mention the possibility of missing out on thousands of dollars of potential leads.

Now there are some work-arounds with this. Go to google take an ad and change it's final destination URL...this takes the ad down, puts it back up for revision 1 by 1. This is how we found out about this issue in the first place because our ads got Disapproved due to your plugin causing a 404 on the final URL.

Your plugin is flat out not handling 301 redirects properly hence why i was on live chat for 3 hours yesterday debugging it for you. (At my own expense mind you) It would be better to not have SmartCrawl offer 301 redirect until you can support it properly, that way we can use other plugins without fear of plugin conflict to handle the redirects.

I am really not trying to be difficult here, but when I get "working as intended" responses it just pushes my button to no end.

• forthgear
    • The Incredible Code Injector

After re-reading what I wrote I can say i was a bit harsh, but we had a client lose money due to this issue. Which reflects on our ability to service them appropriately, so I apologize for the harshness but please please look at this from a more objective approach.

• Kasia Swiderska
    • Support nomad

Hello forthgear,

I understand your frustration and I apologize for all the troubles. I can see that after saving it does indeed change relative with absolute.
    Let me bring this to developer attention and see what can be done about this and why it does that change even description says relative also is allowed format.

kind regards,
    Kasia

• Kasia Swiderska
    • Support nomad

Hello forthgear,

We have talked with the developer and we tasked this for one of the next version. It won't be next one because next is already locked for new tasks, but it should be one after that (there might be also much smaller update soon that will fix issues with page builders that showed in last one).

kind regards,
    Kasia

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.