Smartcrawl SEO Analysis test problem

Smartcrawl SEO Analysis does not work in a correct way. My site URL is like example.com but my WordPress installation is in a subfolder like example.com/wordpress. So that WordPress folder just returns 404 but homepage example.com works. SEO Analysis tool trying to look for example.com/wordpress so can't find any URL just 404. How can I fix it?

• Predrag Dubajic

Hi James,

It looks like you have disconnected the site in your question from your WPMU DEV account so we can't perform the scan to check this out.
    Can you please connect it again via WPMU DEV Dashboard?

Also, can you tell me how did you configure the WordPress being in its own folder, did you use any of these two methods:
    https://codex.wordpress.org/Giving_WordPress_Its_Own_Directory

I just tested one of my sites by moving it with first method and the scan didn't show any 404 reports.

Best regards,
    Predrag

• James Husband

Hi Predrag,
    I did remove some of the local sites i had but the site in question is still active, url is :

Site URL: staging.superfreeslotgames.com/wordpress
    Admin URL: staging.superfreeslotgames.com/wordpress /wp-admin

Support access is active

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How Wordpress is installed in a sub folder

So Wordpress core is installed as a git submodule using the following config:

1. Clone Wordpress from official git repo
    git submodule add https://github.com/WordPress/WordPress wordpress

2. Fix WP to latest stable version

cd wordpress
    git fetch -a
    git tag
    git checkout 4.9.1

3. duplicate files we will change and include in version control

cp wordpress/index.php index.php
    cp wordpress/wp-config-sample.php wp-config.php
    cp -Rf wordpress/wp-content .

4. Edit index.php to point to new wp blog header
    require('wordpress/wp-blog-header.php');

5. Edit wp-config.php

define('WP_HOME',    'http://'.$_SERVER['SERVER_NAME']);
    define('WP_SITEURL', WP_HOME.'/wordpress');
    define('WP_CONTENT_DIR', $_SERVER['DOCUMENT_ROOT'].'/wp-content');
    define('WP_CONTENT_URL', WP_HOME.'/wp-content');

This is a standard set up for modern Wordpress installations, I am surprised there is such a lack of information on modern setups and people are still relying on archaic practices (FTP etc).

• Predrag Dubajic

Hi James,

Thanks for the additional info, those steps actually explain what's going on.

Your site is registered on our end with staging.superfreeslotgames.com/wordpress as a URL due to this define:
    define('WP_SITEURL', WP_HOME.'/wordpress');

SEO scan uses network_site_url to start the scan and to check that the site is from proper WPMU DEV account, and since in your case that's the site.com/wordpress/ address it will scan that and thus cause 404 results.

Unfortunately changing our service to use network_home_url is not possible as it would open our services to a lot of possible abuses.

What you could try is using .htaccess redirects to redirect all requests except for wp-admin and wp-includes folders and that might do the trick.
    Something like this for example:

<IfModule mod_rewrite.c>
    RewriteEngine on
    RewriteRule ^(wp-admin) - [L]
    RewriteRule ^(wp-includes) - [L]
    RewriteRule ^/?wordpress/(.*)$ http://staging.superfreeslotgames.com/$1 [R=301,L]
    </IfModule>

Best regards,
    Predrag

• Predrag Dubajic

Hi James,

I'm not that familiar with Nginx and perhaps some htaccess to nginx converter tool could to that.
    However before doing that, our developers were doing some additional checks since yesterday and it seems like they were able to find a workaround for this from our end and some changes in scan should be able to go around the issue.

We wanted to check your site for the scan status but the login is no longer working on your staging sites, we can't load login pages at all.

Can you check from your end what's going on and let us know when we can try again?

Best regards,
    Predrag

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.