SmartCrawl SEO, how to get the SEO settings to read shortcodes

hello! we are building a new multi-user site and love wpmu dev dash .. but we are struggling with an issue. Because we clone our sites for thousands of clients, we have added shortcodes to our site to make it easier to customize each site with their target city, phone number, county, etc. > for example [rs_city] = Iowa City. So anywhere [rs_city] is on the site, it will populate Iowa City. We would also like the SEO settings in SmartCrawl to read the shortcodes. Any suggestions on how to make this work?

• Tyler Postle

Hey David,

Welcome to the WPMU DEV Community!

I'm not sure what you mean by wanting the SEO settings in SmartCrawl to read the shortcodes? Could you explain that a little further.

You're wanting it to read the shortcodes as what the city actually is? So instead of reading it as [rs_city], it would see it as "IOWA City"? I believe it should already be doing that. Or are you seeing that it isn't on your install?

Look forward to hearing back!

All the best,
    Tyler

• David

Tyler,
    Thanks for getting back to me!

Yes! You described it exactly as we would like it to function, but no, it is not reading them. We are thinking it (smartcrawl/seo settings) may be competing for attention with the Genesis theme seo settings, which we aren't using? If so, we aren't sure how to disable that. This is the final, and critical, piece to the launch of our new sites, any help you can provide will be very much appreciated!

• Tyler Postle

Hey David,

Apologies for my delay here! Where do you see that it's not reading them? Could you grant support access so I can have a closer look at your setup? :slight_smile:

You can grant support access via WPMU DEV > Support > Support Access > Grant Access.

It's definitely possible your theme SEO settings might be conflicting with SmartCrawl.

Talk to you soon. I'll set a reminder for myself to check back on this thread soon to make sure you don't experience another delay like that.

Cheers,
    Tyler

• David

Tyler,

Thank you for your response. If you hover over the tab when the page is loaded, it shows the title tag as "We Buy Houses in [rs_city]" instead of We Buy Houses in Iowa City.

I have granted support access to our site .. it is "site1" that we are currently working on.

I did notice that if we load Yoast SEO then it disables the Theme SEO (it totally disappears), however the shortcodes are still not reading.

I put SmartCrawl back in because it's the SEO plugin we'd like to use.

Please let me know when you have an opportunity to review the site. Again, it is the critical piece to launching our network. I look forward to your response!!

Thanks,
      David

• Tyler Postle

Hey David,

Ooh, I see. I think I misunderstood the issue before. So you're placing the shortcode inside the title & metas section? Wanting it to run the shortcode for each site?

I'm actually having trouble visiting your subsites right now, I can login to your main site but when I try to navigate to a subsite then it redirects me to the login form.

Would you be able to create a temp admin account for me to login with on site1?

You can send that privately through our contact form: https://premium.wpmudev.org/contact/

Select "I have a different question" for your topic - this and the subject line ensure that it gets assigned to me.

Send in:

Subject: "Attn: Tyler Postle"
    -WordPress admin username
    -WordPress admin password
    -login url
    -link back to this thread for reference
    -any other relevant urls

Talk to you soon David! Cheers

• Tyler Postle

Hey David,

I see what you mean now, sorry I was misunderstanding the issue before. We can resolve this with just a bit of php.

Add this line to your themes functions.php or mu-plugin:

add_filter('wds_title', 'do_shortcode');

In this case, I would recommend an mu-plugin to ensure it applies to every site on your network. So I've attached a file you can upload to: /wp-content/mu-plugins/

Just unzip the folder and upload smartcrawl-shortcodes.php

Then you should be good to go :slight_smile:

If you have any issues just let me know.

All the best,
    Tyler

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.