SMTP via Branda is not sending

I'm configuring a SMTP setup via Branda. Cannot get test email to send. It says
"Failed to send the test email. Please check your SMTP credentials and try again."
Have checked settings.
One consideration is the encryption method is STARTTLS vs TLS. Does this make a difference?

• Nithin
    • Support Wizard

Hi JM Pepper,

Hope you are doing good today. :slight_smile:

Please do note that if you are using OAuth authentication in Gmail at the moment it's not something supported out of the box in Branda plugin side.

I just checked your website dashboard, and it seems like you currently have office365 configured. Could I know SMTP you are looking to configure Gmail, or Office365? Could notice the Office365 configured isn't working too, are you sure the credentials entered is correct for Office365?

In general, with Gmail, the following settings should have worked out of the box:

SMTP Server: smtp.gmail.com
    SMTP Encryption: TLS
    SMTP Port: 587
    Insecure SSL certificates: Disable

Please let us know whether the above works. If not, is it okay, if I test with a test Gmail account of ours in your system, and see how it goes too?

Looking forward to your response, so that we could give a closer look if needed. Have a nice day ahead. :slight_smile:

Regards,
    Nithin

• JM Pepper
      • New Recruit

Hi,

When I first configured the Gmail I used the settings exactly as described above. That did not work. I also tried it with a Microsoft Office account. That did not work either.

Feel free to try it with your email accounts. Looking forward to your response.

James

• Nithin
    • Support Wizard

Hi JM Pepper,

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. So, I tested the issue further in your system by adding my test working Gmail account credentials, and the issue still exists.

To double-check, I installed an SMTP plugin(WP Mail SMTP) and further tested whether it works fine in there too. Unfortunately, the issue seems to be common, and more related to your website.

Either it could be one of the existing plugins causing a conflict, or your web server is blocking the connection.

Since a conflict test was already done on your website. Could you please bring this into your hosting provider's attention to ensure whether the SMTP isn't getting blocked in any way?

I tested with the following SMTP:

SMTP Server: smtp.gmail.com
    SMTP Encryption: TLS
    SMTP Port: 587
    Insecure SSL certificates: Disable

Please let us know what your hosting provider has to say regarding this, so this could be looked upon closely. Have a nice day ahead. :slight_smile:

Regards,
    Nithin

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.