Smush and Hummingbird Issues

Hello, My WP Smush bulk optimization is running into issues. Partly it's related to my sever going down. Last time I attempted it I got about 30% through. When something like that happens does it just start all over? And how about if I can't keep up with the monthly payments? What happens to all the optimized images? Also, I'm trying to activate Hummingbird but it won't let me. The Activate button is lit up, not the deactivate one. Is this because I'm in the trial period? Can I end the trial period and pay so I can get that plugin?

• Kasia Swiderska

Hello Niki,

When something like that happens does it just start all over?

No, it will start from the last image that was smushed and will proceed with next images.

And how about if I can't keep up with the monthly payments? What happens to all the optimized images?

Nothing. Those are your smushed images and they are on your server, they will stay smushed. You will still be able to use Smush but with limitation (no big images, only 20 images in bulk smush at once) like in free version.

Also, I'm trying to activate Hummingbird but it won't let me. The Activate button is lit up, not the deactivate one. Is this because I'm in the trial period?

No, when you are on trial you can use every of our plugins and themes and services.
    This could be some type of conflict. Please run a quick plugin/theme conflict test as illustrated in getting support manual (flowchart). Let me know how it goes.
    http://premium.wpmudev.org/manuals/using-wpmu-dev/getting-support/

If there will be still problem would you mind allowing support access so we can have a closer look at this?
    To enable support access you can follow this guide here:
    http://premium.wpmudev.org/manuals/wpmu-dev-dashboard-enabling-staff-login/

kind regards,
    Kasia

• Nithin

Hi Niki,

Hope you are doing good today. :slight_smile:

I could notice you are using 2 cache plugins, the issue was with one these caching plugin, as your dashboard was showing a cached version, when Hummingbird was activated. Purging, and clearing the cache, made the Hummingbird plugin appear in the dashboard. This seems to be due to the dynamic caching, purging the dynamic caching manually has done the trick.

You might find this article helpful if you are looking to configure your caching plugin:
    https://www.siteground.com/tutorials/supercacher/wordpress_sgcachepress.htm

I hope this helps. Please let us know if you still need any further assistance. Have a nice day. :slight_smile:

Kind Regards,
    Nithin

• Niki

With Hummingbird downloaded now, can I get rid of the page speed plugins I have? I don't know which plugins it covers and which it doesn't. Also, I ran the minimizer and the slides on the top of my page are not showing up when I'm logged into wp-admin. Should I be moving the files between the header and footer? What happens if there is a FOUC (up)? Do I just click back to original and save? Also, I also can't seem to be able to set the Expiry to 8 days from 1 year (current). (I have support enabled)

• Kasia Swiderska

Hello Niki,

Looks like the support access is not open anymore :slight_frown:.

With Hummingbird downloaded now, can I get rid of the page speed plugins I have? I don't know which plugins it covers and which it doesn't.

Hummingbird covers minification, gZipping and browser caching. It is not Cache plugin, so you should leave one cache plugin - they will work together.

Also, I ran the minimizer and the slides on the top of my page are not showing up when I'm logged into wp-admin. Should I be moving the files between the header and footer?

Yes, and with each files moved from original position to new one, you have to check if site breaks. If yes - then move it back to original position. You might need to also test option for minification and combination - if something is broken then disable those.
    This is feature that needs testing to get optimal configuration for your site - as each site is different there is no one general way.

kind regards,
    Kasia