Smush CDN issues with GTMetrix

I am turning on Smush CDN to better optimize images and to serve scaled images. But after activating Smush CDN I received a new error on GTMetrix report “Combine images using CSS sprites” and it makes my site D score. But if I deactivate Smush CDN and activate Kinsta CDN then I do not get any errors for “Combine images using CSS sprites”.

• Adam Czajczyk
    • Support Gorilla

Hi Marco

I hope you’re well today and thank you for reporting this!

It seems that this is related to specifics of these images. It’s hard to compare Smush CDN with Kinsta CDN as those are two different tools but surely there is a reason why GTMetrix comes up with such suggestion only with Smush CDN enabled.

Unfortunately, I wasn’t able to replicate this on my end (force GTMetrix to come up with such recommendation) so I’ll need to reach out to our developers for help. We’ve already reported it to them for further investigation so please keep an eye on this ticket and we’ll update you here as soon as we get to know more.

It would also be great if you could keep the support access to the site open (it’s time valid and might expire automatically ) as this could help them diagnose the issue.

Kind regards,
    Adam

• Tho Bui
    • Staff

Hello Marco ,

There is not an issue of Smush. This depends on the analytic function of GTmetrix. GTmetrix sees small external images as icons. So GT suggests you try to use sprite images for performance. In that case, you can fix this out by changing the thumbnail size to 100px.
    As default, you can custom the thumbnail size on Settings-> Media admin page.

Kind Regards,
    Tho Bui

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.