Smush CDN Questions

Hi,
I'll be updating my smush to the latest version across a lot of sites. Does the new CDN feature come activated by default or do you have to turn it on? Also does it use the same CDN as hummingbird? Do you need to have CDN turned on in both plugins?

• jnkfrancis

Hi Cornelius,

I can't say for sure when CDN will be released for Smush, but when it does it will definitely have an effect on your site's performance... in a VERY GOOD way. A CDN (Content Delivery Network) helps improve your site speed by staging cached versions of your resources (in the case of Smush that would be your images) in different data centers around the globe. That way when a user in Europe visits your site, they are served data from the closest data center in Europe to them, rather than having to download those files from a server that is on a different continent.

A CDN is a group of connected data centers that each keeps a cached copy of your site’s images and other files. It then serves up the content from the closest location to the visitor, giving you a big overall boost to site speed. https://premium.wpmudev.org/cdn/

It also has the added benefit of taking some of the burden off your local web server. By not having to store and serve images it can spend more of its resources serving the content and other portions of your website. The same is true for Hummingbird, except we are talking about JS and CSS files, rather than images.

One way to look at it is like this; it is like the difference between going to a buffet and putting food on your plate and bringing it back to the table or having a waiter put the food on your table and you serve from your seat. And if you are using HTTP2 where multiple files can be downloaded simultaneously it's like having 4 waiters come and drop the steak, potatoes, bread, and beer right at your seat at the same time.

You won't see any negative performance impact from running both, in fact running both will only improve your performance.

So using a CDN is very beneficial and will definitely only improve your site's performance.

I hope that helps :slight_smile: And I hope I didn't make you too hungry!

Jeremy

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.