Smush CDN slow down my site

I activated Smush CDN and my site stopped loading. After I disable the CDN site loads fine, can you help me?

Also, I'm trying to make my site faster, can you check what I can improve on my website?

Thank you in advance.

• Prathamesh Palve
    • Staff

Hello SABER,

I hope you are doing fine today and thank you for giving us time to check this for you.

Here is a list of steps I have taken:

1. Enable Smush( Images vanished after enabling smush CDN)
    2. Checking Lazyload Conflicts( Yes, I see that the owl carousel already supports lazyload by default)
    3. Disable Lazyloading for Home Page & all other pages.

Reason for taking step three:

After checking the home page and other pages, I see the lazy loading is running already. If we enable Lazyload for these from Smush, they would be conflicting.

After checking this page: view-source:https://berkshirefurniture.com/product-category/featured-products/collections/verbois-bedroom-collection/?orderby=title&order=ASC

I see that there is already lazyloading which makes us turn off lazy loading for it( Lazy loading from WP ROCKET plugin is already ON which would bring conflicts if the lazy loading is enabled from multiple plugins. Here is the screenshot for the same:

Should you have any doubts further doubts or need any help, please reply in the thread here and we would be happy to help.

Regards,
    Prathamesh

• SABER
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hi Prathamesh,

Lazyload on my smush is off. so is the lazyload on wp rocket. actually wp rocket is inactive right now. so should I turn the lazyload of smush on or no? please check to make sure it will not conflict with the site.

Thanks
    Saber

• Prathamesh Palve
    • Staff

Hello SABER,

It should not conflict if lazy loading would only be turned on from one plugin. Adding to this, I could not test this on your site as if I turn on lazy loading, I would also need to clear the cache from Hummingbird. While I tried to clear the cache, I spot that the directory permissions to your site are wrong.

Kindly set all the folder permissions to 755 and file permissions to 644, try to clear cache from Hummingbird-> Caching section. If that works, please turn on lazy loading in Smush-> Lazyloading and clear the cache again from Hummingbird-> Caching section and check if that works correctly.

I am looking forward to hearing from you.

Thanks,
    Prathamesh

• SABER
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Nebu John
    12:53 pm
    I just checked if I can purge the cache. Allow me a few more minutes.

12:56 pm
    I can see that, even though we clear the cache, Lazyload is not working properly. I suggest you update this in the thread so that Prathamesh could better help you.

• Nahid
    • Tech Support

Hey there SABER !
    Hope you are doing well today!

I took a closer look at your site. I found out that both the WP Rocket and Smush Pro lazy-loading were turned off. However, when I checked the page source of the site, there were still references for lazy-loading within the images.

I accessed your file-system via the cPanel. In the "wp-content" folder, I found left-over "cache" folder dumps from WP Rocket. Even though the plugin was disabled, for some reason, the cache was still active. I removed those folders and then activated the lazy-loading in Smush Pro.

At this moment, lazy-loading is active and the images are showing up as expected. Here's a screenshot for reference:

Here's another screenshot showing that the images are loading fine:

Are you still able to replicate the issue on your end? Thanks!

Kind regards,
    Nahid

• SABER
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hi Nahid,

Thanks for looking into this lazyload matter. But after the changes you made, and so far as I see (i have not checked complete site for other changes) but 2 issues have happened.

PLEASE ALSO ALWAYS CHECK THE SITE BOTH ON DESKTOP AND MOBILE PHONE.

1: The Small images for the BRAND pages are not showing anymore (see screenshot from staging site)

2: on my Mobile phone (i have huawei 10 pro) the screen seems to be larger at the Bottom where the foot end is and the text is over shooting past the screen. see image of my mobile screen.

please check these two issues and fix if possible.

Thanks for your help
    Saber

• SABER
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

our image on sale page also gone.
    https://berkshirefurniture.com/sale/

also i noticed here and there some thumbs from our furniture galleries are missing since you made the change.

Please refer to Staging site which has an earlier copy of the site prior to change. But DO NOT PUSH a copy of staging site to live site. instead see what are the issues on live site and try to fix.

thanks
    Saber

• Dimitris
    • Support Star

Hey there SABER

1: The Small images for the BRAND pages are not showing anymore (see screenshot from staging site)

also i discovered some of my main gallery images are also not showing. please carefully check the changes and the site, please make sure all working flawlessly and products are showing.

These two are actually about the same problem, which seems irrelevant with Smush and lazy loading.
    When I tried to find this image in the Media library and regenerate its thumbnails, as the "g20__large-300x219.png" filename states that this is a custom thumbnails size, I got the following error message:

Could you please re-upload this image, or make use of the similar JPG image you've already uploaded, and this should be resolved.

2: on my Mobile phone (i have huawei 10 pro) the screen seems to be larger at the Bottom where the foot end is and the text is over shooting past the screen. see image of my mobile screen.

This is also not Smush related, but you can surpass it by using the following custom CSS rule (you can use the Appearance -> Customize -> Additional CSS for that):

@media screen and (max-width: 480px) {
    	.contact_info_items li {
    		display: inline-block;
    	}
    }

our image on sale page also gone.
    https://berkshirefurniture.com/sale/

I can see that this image is coming from another domain. Would you mind downloading it, uploading to your site/server and use if from there?

also i noticed here and there some thumbs from our furniture galleries are missing since you made the change.

Could you please share some specific examples so we can have a look?

FYI I was just checking the live site, as I see that latest changes are published there (no WP Rocket, Smush lazy-loading is enabled).

Warm regards,
    Dimitris

• Dimitris
    • Support Star

Following up from the duplicated thread here:
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/smush-questions-regarding-lazy-load

1: Why is lazyload messing up my site?

After the last checks that I did yesterday, lazyloading wasn't affecting negatively your website, apart from some images that seemed to be broken prior to lazy loading (missing thumbnails or original images).

2: If we turn off lazyload, that is not a good thing, because I want the site to load the fastest so what is the fix for lazyloading?

Lazyloading can indeed help towards a faster loading time. The complexity of other themes and plugins, especially when not following the WP and general coding standards though, can lead to broken aspects in your website. Unfortunately, these issues should be handled one by one as there could be different reasons causing them.

3: If no Smush lazyload on, do we have other lazyload turned on or no? should we turn on other lazyloads or no?

As said above, lazyloading can help indeed. If you don't want to use it via Smush, you can try out another plugin and see how that works in your website. In no case though, don't use more than one plugin for this, as these will most probably conflict each other.

4: After you turned off lazyload, see at the very bottom of this page, still some image not Thumb for a collection did not load, what do you think is the reason: https://berk******re.com/our-collections/

As mentioned in my previous reply above, it seems that some images are missing some thumbnails and the Regenerate Thumbnails can help for that. Keep in mind my finding though, about the missing original image message. This means that you'll have to re-upload the original image as thumbnails can't be regenerated.

5: Also inspect the popup image (the actual product zoom) when you click to enlarge the image, they show at different sizes. The chair looks too much zoomed and distorted then the chest of drawer. the chest looks better:
    https://berk*****re.com/product/stockholm-arm-chair/
    https://berk*****re.com/product/handstone-algoma-4-drawer-chest/

That's a matter of theming and not Smush related. Thing is that the chair image is small and the popup is forcing to enlarge it, thus resulting in a blurry image (original image is 419x575px and it's getting enlarged to 738x1013px). The solution here would be to use larger images.

Thank you,
    Dimitris

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.