Smush doesn't display the right number of images in media library

Smush doesn't display the full list of images it only shows 50 smushed images while there is more than 500.

• Katya Tsihotska

Hi mary

Hope you had a great day!

I think that there is some misunderstanding. WP Smush (I mean WordPress > Media > WP Smush page) shows you how many images should be smushed according to your setting, not all images that you have in your library. You can easily check it if you change settings and re-check images the number of images could be changed.

If you want better optimize your images I would recommend you enable at least following options:

- Resize original images. Enable it and don't forget to set max width and max height as it recommended below.

- Super-smush my images
    - Include my original full-size images

Also, if you want to be able to restore your images to default state you should turn on the option "Make a copy of my original images". But you need to know that activating this setting will significantly increase the size of your uploads folder by nearly twice as much.

You also can enable all other settings if it needs, those settings also could improve your site performance.

When you finish your setup, please, don't forget to save settings

and then re-check your images.

If you have any additional questions please let me know and I’ll be happy to help.

Kind regards,
    Katya

• Katya Tsihotska

Hi mary

Hope you are doing fine today.

I apologize if I've understood you wrongly before. I've checked your site once more and seems like smashing works fine. I strongly recommend you to set your smushing as I was described in my previous reply, without that setting you won't be able to get needed results.

- Resize original images. Enable it and don't forget to set max width and max height as it recommended below.
    - Super-smush my images
    - Include my original full-size images

As for "Include my original full-size images" option, I'm recommending you to use it because I've noted that often in your site original images are using instead of thumbnails, so important to optimize them too.

Of course, it may take a little bit while until all 500+ images will be smushed, so you should be patient and keep calm I've just tested bulk smush on your site and it works for me.

You also need to know that you can check the report about smushing results for each smushed image. Go to your library and found images that are already smushed and click on Smush stats [+]

And the last thing, please, don't forget to flush your cache when all images will be smushed.

Let me know if you need further assistance with this.

Kind regards,
    Katya

• mary

Hi there, This was not exactly my question. The ticket was written for me by the chat agent, so it's not quite reflecting what I wanted to know. My issue is that when I run reports on my site I am always being told I have to optimize my pictures, and Smush is recommended. But I'm using Smush Pro and have already Smushed everything. I don't know why my photos still show as being in need of smushing. Right after I finish a bulk smush, I will often check again, and it will show just as many pictures (last time over 3000) in need of smushing as before I did it. If I re-smush, it takes the time as if it's working, and tallies them up as it completes, but shows a zero KB savings of space. That's what I contacted chat about. The representative there looked at my files and he's the one who expressed surprise at how many smushed images were showing/not showing. My issue is about why they still show as needing optimization.

• Dimitris

Hey there mary,

hope you're doing good today and don't mind chiming in!

Could you please re-grant support access via WPMUDEV Dashboard plugin to the website in question, as it seems that got expired? (it auto expires after 5 days for security reasons)
    Here's how: https://premium.wpmudev.org/docs/getting-started/getting-support/#chapter-4
    Just let us know here in your next reply that access has been granted as we don't get any notifications about it.

Warm regards,
    Dimitris

• Dimitris

Hey there mary,

hope you're doing good today and appreciate the granted support access!

I was able to see only a few images are shown as smushed indeed, so I guess this has something to do with the Smush statistics.
    I've tried to replicate this by switching the plugin on and off, as well as trying to update through the latest 3 versions, but I was still unable to replicate this and my initial stats were staying the same at all times.
    These stats are only reset, if you deleted and reinstalled Smush plugin at some point.

Meanwhile, I'd to focus in a more actual "issue" here. If you go to
    HummingBird -> Performance Report -> Imporovements [sidebar] -> Optimize images [accordion] -> Improve [button]
    here
    yourdomain.com/wp-admin/admin.php?page=wphb-performance#rule-OptimizeImages
    you can see that there're some images that need compressing and some compressing and resizing.

The "compressing" part can be handled by Smush, you just have to activate the Resize original images option and bulk smush again, as it seems that you're also using the full size images in your website, rather than thumbnail versions only.

The "resizing" part is because of images that got loaded inside smaller containers, thus there're getting scaled down. To surpass this you can simply crop/scale down your images in the exact dimensions used in website. The following post from our blog is explaining this thoroughly:
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/blog/compress-resize-images-wordpress/

Warm regards,
    Dimitris

• mary

Thank you! This makes a lot of sense. However, I just did the "resize original images" thing, and my Hummingbird score has actually gone down despite a large saving. I think I need to re-upload some of these images in the right size for the theme, however, I don't know how to determine what that size is. The last theme I used showed a grey area with the aspect ratio the theme would utilize on the crop page and the dimensions listed below it; this one doesn't. Also, a lot of what is suggested to be compressed and resized are things I have no control over as far as I know, like the header to my Instagram feed, which comes from a plug in. I'm not sure what to do about that, if there's even anything to be done.

While I was getting ready to send this I did the test again, and a very strange thing occurred: it was like an avalanche of popups dropping from the top of the screen in rapid succession saying my site was being tested, then nothing. When I hit the "back" button it appears as if the test has been run again, and now I have lost another 3 points. I don't get it. I'm doing all this stuff to improve my score, and my score is going down.

Also, my server response time is slow, and WP Supercache is recommended, but when I go to WP to download the plug in it says it's not available because of security or compatibility concerns. What's up with THAT?

• Predrag Dubajic

Hi Mary,

You can check the images in report and then find where are those images used on your site.
    In your case that would be Logo image and Featured Products section.

If you inspect the image from featured products for example, you will see that the image is being resized to 200x200 pixels while original image is 400x400.

You should either try resizing this images to 200x200 and re-uploading it after that.
    However I'm afraid that this may impact the image on single product page so the best thing is to check with the plugin developer to change the plugin code in order to call thumbnail size that is same as the holder.

Also, a lot of what is suggested to be compressed and resized are things I have no control over as far as I know, like the header to my Instagram feed, which comes from a plug in. I'm not sure what to do about that, if there's even anything to be done.

I'm afraid that there's not much you can do about that, you can't affect images that are loaded from external source, but what you can do is get in touch with developers of the plugins that use not-optimized images and ask them to resolve it in plugin itself.

While I was getting ready to send this I did the test again, and a very strange thing occurred: it was like an avalanche of popups dropping from the top of the screen in rapid succession saying my site was being tested, then nothing. When I hit the "back" button it appears as if the test has been run again, and now I have lost another 3 points. I don't get it. I'm doing all this stuff to improve my score, and my score is going down.

I saw this behaviour now on your site but I was unable to find any info on what was causing it, there was nothing in console that would tell me what's going on
    Can you try disabling your other plugins and start a scan again to see if it's related to conflict with one of the current plugins you have running?

Also, my server response time is slow, and WP Supercache is recommended, but when I go to WP to download the plug in it says it's not available because of security or compatibility concerns. What's up with THAT?

I tried clicking on WP Super Cache link on your installation and I didn't see any errors or warnings, can you tell me what exactly steps did you do to get to that and can you grab me a screenshot of the warning?

Best regards,
    Predrag

• mary

Hi Predrag,

I always check to see if the plug in is downloadable from the admin panel, and it says "not available" with an explanation that it's because of security or compatibility concerns. I found another caching plug in and downloaded that instead.

There are 4 product images singled out from 150+ products. On the particular one you pointed out, I actually deleted the image and replaced it with one set to 200x200, but as you suspected it did affect the single product page significantly in that the image was much too small. When it was 200x200, it did not appear on the list to be fixed in Hummingbird. But putting it back to 400x400 put it back on the list. I know I should be aiming for as close to a perfect score as I can get on this, but honestly, I have bigger fish to fry, I think, than chasing these four images.

The header is more difficult because I believe the theme accommodates a variety of sizes, and the header shrinks as you scroll down the page. So I don't really know what to do with that.

Anyway, I don't know what the protocol is because this thread has morphed for me from concerns about Smush which I now understand to be working as it should to concerns about Hummingbird. I would like to keep discussing the issues I'm having trying to raise that score but we'd be stepping out of the image arena at this point and I don't know how that should work, being new to all this.

• Predrag Dubajic

Hi Mary,

I always check to see if the plug in is downloadable from the admin panel, and it says "not available" with an explanation that it's because of security or compatibility concerns. I found another caching plug in and downloaded that instead.

Looks like GoDaddy blocks caching plugins by default and that's why you can't install it.
    You can find more info here:
    https://uk.godaddy.com/help/blacklisted-plugins-8964

GoDaddy has some caching configuration on their end and that's why they block most of the caching plugins.
    If you did find the one you could install I would still suggest getting in touch with GoDaddy support to check if this is compatible with their servers.

You can also check with them about speed reports on your site as "server response time" report doesn't rely fully on caching plugin, it also depends on server and it's response times directly.

The header is more difficult because I believe the theme accommodates a variety of sizes, and the header shrinks as you scroll down the page. So I don't really know what to do with that.

Your header image holder, on larger screens, when expanded, is only 400x120 while the image loaded there is 1200x300, almost 3 times the size so you should be able to reduce its size without affecting the quality like for product images as this is not being loaded larger anywhere.

Anyway, I don't know what the protocol is because this thread has morphed for me from concerns about Smush which I now understand to be working as it should to concerns about Hummingbird. I would like to keep discussing the issues I'm having trying to raise that score but we'd be stepping out of the image arena at this point and I don't know how that should work, being new to all this.

Image optimization and server response time are quite important reports and they affect your score quite a lot.
    Server response time score can be different from scan to scan as it depends on the time that will take your server to response during the scan process.
    So if your site has taken a bit longer in one scan, compared to previous one, it will get lower score and show that your overall score has dropped.

Hope this explains things a bit better

Best regards,
    Predrag