smush failing to smush

on your trial ...

your smush tool is stuck

.. please tell me what is happening
.. and how to fix it
.. click link below

https://www.evernote.com/shard/s28/sh/60112bbb-4868-4e77-a074-9469dc216c8a/e0640e890456a3129cf9ef7f8811cd50

• Rupok
    • Support Ninja

Hi EIUSA,

So sorry to hear the inconvenience. Just to make sure no other plugin is causing this, can you please do a plugin conflict test? To know more about plugin conflict test, you can check this guide: http://premium.wpmudev.org/manuals/using-wpmu-dev/getting-support/

Moreover, I could tell you better about the issue if I could see it live, check your current configuration and make some tests on your site. Would you mind allowing Support Access so we can have a closer look at this?

To enable support access you can follow this guide here:
    http://premium.wpmudev.org/manuals/wpmu-dev-dashboard-enabling-staff-login/

Please let us know the result of your plugin conflict test and confirm when you are done granting Support access. I'm looking forward to hearing from you and resolving this issue as soon as possible.

Have a nice day. Cheers!
    Rupok

• Michael
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

EIUSA - Avoid giving your login details out to the public! There's a way to privately send them to WPMU Support instead. Else others could abuse it (suggest changing the password, at least afterwards).

All the best with resolving your issue. I would suggest checking to ensure CHMOD group settings on the image folder are correct. Could be the server permissions are blocking the plugin from modifying/writing the files.

CHMOD 755 for all folders and sub-folders.
    CHMOD 644 for all files.

• Michael

Google search about "CHMOD" if you have never used it before. The first value is for the owner, second value is for groups, and third value is for public. For example: "7" would allow full access, but "5" would only allow read/write, "4" would be read only, and "0" would be no access allowed.

They are set for security reasons. However, it could be even restricting your Wordpress plugins from full access too, if the group isn't allowed access. Hense it's possible for the plugin attempts to rewrite the file, but the server disallows it. Therefore getting stuck.

It's command line based on your server, using Putty to access. However, there's an easier way using a FTP Client, such as FlashFXP. While connected to the server with your admin login, you can right-click the folders/files and check "Attributes (CHMOD)". Keep a record of what it is currently, then update accordingly to test.

ps: As for deleting your login details, you should probably go under your Wordpress admin and change the password on that account instead. Just incase someone has grabbed it and therefore can login/mess around. Or just remove the "TechSupport" account when you are done.

• Kasia Swiderska
    • Support nomad

Hi EIUSA,

I edited your message and removed credentials - as suggested by Michael it's better to remove that account or at least change password to it.

As for your images - Smush throws errors for images that are not kept on your server.

It is smushing images that are physically in your media library, but from what I see you are keeping most of your images outside your server.
    Smush has support for S3 Amazon, but I don't see that you are using it.
    You can keep bulk smush open, till it goes through all images - it will skip those that are not on your server, but it will smush one that are on it.

Can you tell me which plugin you are using to handle your media library in way it is working now?

kind regards,
    Kasia

• EIUSA
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

1- i am not using anything else; smush still turned on; still hoping smush can resolve 'some' of my slow page loading problems by reducing image sizes.
    2- The smush plugin sits at 2% for hrs without changing, so its not working as you say it should, because it would complete, but never does.
    3- How do I add the amazon smush; is there an option i need to turn on?

thx much for helping out,
    vic

• Kasia Swiderska
    • Support nomad

Hello EIUSA,

Like I said before - Smush can't work on images that are not physically on your sever - and images on which Smush is throwing errors are not on your server, they are on some other, you can actually see links to them in Media Libarary and even in those error that Smush throws.
    If smush is not finishing it means that all the images are on different server.

Smush has integration with this https://wordpress.org/plugins/amazon-s3-and-cloudfront/ - I don't see this installed on your site, so my question is, what are you using for images that they are not stored on your server? I need this information so I can check with our developers if there is something that can be done for this solution.

kind regards,
    Kasia

• EIUSA
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

1- I am using a plugin called WooZone which pulls in Amazon products onto my site, which also updates these Amazon product images as they get changed on Amazon. You can see example of a product's images link (amazon cloud) here:
    https://energyindependentusa.com/product/be-smart-get-prepared-250-piece-first-aid-kit-exceeds-osha-ansi-standards-for-50-people-office-home-car-school-emergency-survival-camping-hunting-and-sports/

2- After reading what the "WP Offload S3 Lite?" plugin does, it is not clear to me that this will work correctly with “WooZone” plugin?

?Thanks for helping me figure this out.
    Vic?

• Michael

"WooZone" allows you to locally host those Amazon images (check under the settings). That should work fine for now without conflict to "Smush".

Perhaps "Smush" will need to be patched for ignoring the remote images, if WooZone is using that. It won't be able to access them. I don't see why it would be picking up on those remote images however, the developer would have to check into that.

• Kasia Swiderska
    • Support nomad

Hello EIUSA,

2- After reading what the "WP Offload S3 Lite?" plugin does, it is not clear to me that this will work correctly with “WooZone” plugin?

No, this will not resolve that issue. I was not aware what plugin was used for images on your site and how it works. S3 allows to host images on amazon server, but first that images are upload to your site and then send to amazon service. WooZone is not saving images on your server but loads them from remote server.

I will talk with developer if this is something that we can resolve on our end.

kind regards,
    Kasia

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.