Smush Images

Hi – I have switched over to SmushPro and Smush CDN with lazy load – which works pretty well but I find reasonably often that some product images just don't load at all, even if I refresh – is this an issue I can workaround? Perhaps you can see something I have done wrong in my settings?

• Adam Czajczyk
    • Support Gorilla

Hi Peter

I hope you’re well today!

I checked the site and noticed that the site is “heavily cached” and in addition to Smush Lazy Load there was also Lazy Load enabled in Jetpack. This often causes conflicts so I took a liberty of disabling Lazy Load in Jetpack, leaving only the one in Smush active.

Since that didn’t help, I also tested the site without Lazy Load at all and with Smush CDN disabled to see what happens. I was able to “drill down” to the specific message that’s returned by CDN for those images that are missing and it states that it wasn’t possible to optimize these images.

In other words, Smush CDN is returning an error on these specific images rather than images themselves. That’s why they don’t show up. The error seems to be related to WebP conversion and it looks that there’s “something” in these specific images (they are always the same ones) that “breaks” that conversion.

The very simple way to deal with it would be to just disable WebP conversion in Smush CDN though that’s not necessarily preferred option. However, in most cases it helps to simply “re-save” this images after editing them (not really changing anything – the point is to get the “re-encoded”:wink:.

You could try then to edit them slightly even using built-in Media Library editor – for example just re-scale them by 1 pixel or manually crop by insignificant amount and save. After that clear caches on site and give it few minutes of time (you might also want to disable and re-enable CDN just to make sure) and see if that helps.

Best regards,

Adam

• Peter
    • New Recruit

Hi – we have hundreds of images so it is not really feasible for me to go through 1 by 1 and edit each one – and then also have to monitor any future images we add. I am using the Smush Image Resize Detection – could that be causing an issue? I turned off WebP conversion but that didn;t seem to make much difference

• Adam Czajczyk
    • Support Gorilla

Hello Peter

Thanks for response!

I understand that manually editing that many images can be an issue. I’m a bit surprised though that turning WebP conversion didn’t help here. I checked the site previously and the error status returned by the Smush CDN for these missing images was strictly related to WebP conversion.

Since the support access has been disabled or has expired already again, I can’t test it further now, but yes – please try disabling resizing and see if that helps. If you could also enable support access back and let me know when it’s on, that’d be great – I would do some more tests on this specific case.

Best regards,

Adam

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.