Smush Images Complete but still showing images a huge problem

I've run Hummingbird and done all the optimizations and everything seems to have worked but the image compressing. I installed the WP Smush plugin and it said found 39 images to compress and it went through and did them all but the performance test still says that it's an 8 on images out of 100. When I click on Improve it takes me to Smush and it has green and says it's all done. Even if I re-check for images. Any ideas why this isn't working?

• Kasia Swiderska

Hello Josh,

Hummingbird will show not only images that are needing compression but also those that are needing re-sizing dimentions. On your site your theme squeezes few images with CSS to be displayed smaller than they really are: in "LOW IMPACT INTERVAL CLASSES" there is image that looks like 250px x 150px but its real dimensions are 450px x 280px.
    If image on site is 250x150px - its real dimension should be the same.
    To fix those warnings you would need to upload smaller images instead of those 8 bigger ones.

kind regards,
    Kasia

• Josh

I understand the concept here but I guess I assumed by running the smush plugin that it does everything? So I just need to expend the image section on the test results and manually deal with these files that it shows, right?

I've noticed that running the auto optimize processes for the different problems doesn't break as many things as other plugins but it still does create issues with the Enfold Theme. We're troubleshooting with this first site before we roll it out to all our clients. Is there any best practices or ways to minimize the amount of everything that breaks by using this tool?

• Nithin

Hi Josh,

Hope you are doing good today. :slight_smile:

I understand the concept here but I guess I assumed by running the smush plugin that it does everything? So I just need to expend the image section on the test results, and manually deal with these files that it shows, right?

The main reason is that your images are too large from where it's being displayed, as mentioned by Kasia Swiderska the only solution would be resize your image to fit the themes content width, and it's something which is harder to fix in Page Speed. Unfortunately, at this moment Smush Pro doesn't come with resizing, because you could make use of your WordPress media gallery to scale, and edit each images.

I've noticed that running the auto optimize processes for the different problems doesn't break as many things as other plugins but it still does create issues with the Enfold Theme. We're troubleshooting with this first site before we roll it out to all our clients. Is there any best practices or ways to minimize the amount of everything that breaks by using this tool?

Could you please explain further, or a link, on where/what breaks? It sounds more like a theme specific issue if it works in your default WordPress theme.

The Smush Pro plugin should function smoothly with any settings enabled, so to suggest, I need to know what really breaks?

Please let us know more about this, so that we could get this resolved asap. Have a nice weekend. :slight_smile:

Kind Regards,
    Nithin