Smush it, hummingbird etc.

Hello,

I would need help.

I have a number of websites that I have to do better so that Google likes them better.

Which plugin is what I need? You have so many and I'm not so knowledgeable in this particular by speed and other things that make the website better. Do you have any other advice than Plugin?

I use Smush IT plug in the free version but will use the pro version now. Do you have any tips on settings for this plugin and it works well with the default settings?

Hummingbird I understand to be good. Can you help me with the settings of the plugin?

I wonder also if you know a solution to this as Page Speed ??insight recommend:

"Remove the JavaScript and CSS that block the rendering of the content above the fold."

I have very little knowledge of code. So if I want to change the code so I must have clear instructions. Wise from experience, you should not mess with things you are not 100% sure of * lol *.

Thanky you!

Kind regards,
Kristina

• Nithin

Hey Kristina,

Hope you are doing good today. :slight_smile:

Which plugin is what I need? You have so many and I'm not so knowledgeable in this particular by speed and other things that make the website better. Do you have any other advice than Plugin?

You can definitely start with Hummingbird, WP Smush Pro, and Defender plugin. Hummingbird will help improve your website score, and performance once you configure it. Along with WP Smush Pro enabled, you can compress, and optimized the images which will improve your website to a greater extend. Defender on the other hand is a security plugin, and it helps keep your website safe, and secure with security scans, and reports.

I use Smush IT plug in the free version but will use the pro version now. Do you have any tips on settings for this plugin and it works well with the default settings?

It's pretty much straight forward, you'll find all the settings, under Media > WP Smush. Please do note to disable/delete the WP Smush free version, before installing the WP Smush Pro version. For more information about the plugin, you can check the plugin usage guide here:
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/wp-smush-pro/#product-usage

Hummingbird I understand to be good. Can you help me with the settings of the plugin?

Yes, sure. :slight_smile: Please let us know if have any questions, or any issues with these plugin, we would be happy to assist you further. However, would recommend you to create new thread if you encounter any specific issues, so that it would be easier for both of us to follow. For more info on setting up the Hummingbird plugin, please check the plugin usage tab:
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/wp-hummingbird/#product-usage

I wonder also if you know a solution to this as Page Speed ??insight recommend:

"Remove the JavaScript and CSS that block the rendering of the content above the fold."

To solve this, you'll have to move all the files to the footer using the Hummingbird plugin, under Hummingbird > Minification. However, moving your files can sometimes break the layout of your website, this entirely depends upon your theme, and how your theme honors Hummingbirds Minification settings.

From the above screenshot, you can see that the files are moved to the footer, under Position, the option under Position will allow you to move all your files to footer, header, or original position globally. If you find that your website doesn't work, or find CSS issues, you can move the files to the original position, and then move the individually listed files to footer. If you find moving an individual file, breaks your website layout, you'll have to move the file to it's original position, and continue moving other files to footer.

To know which individual files to move, you can check that under Google Page Speed, it lists all the files that needs to be moved to footer, under Remove render-blocking JavaScript:

I hope this helps. Please let me know if I had missed out anything, have nice weekend. :slight_smile:

Kind Regards,
    Nithin

• Kristina

Hello Nithin,

Thank you so much! Its a lot of information and i will take this step by step.

I have one more question.

I have a number of websites, can i do this step just once? It would be great and save a lot of time.

At the moment im not able to add more sites to my admin at Wpmudev. I have done all correct. But i cant add another website, it says this:

INSTALL & ACTIVATE
    Ensure you have logged into the WPMU DEV Dashboard plugin, and click "Finish Setup" to finish adding your website.
    FINISH SETUP
    We could not find your new website.
    Please make sure you have followed steps above.

Do you know how i add my other websites? Now its one of the sites in Wpmudev admin but i cant add another.

Thank you =).

Kind regards,
    Kristina

• Nithin

Hey Kristina,

At the moment im not able to add more sites to my admin at Wpmudev. I have done all correct. But i cant add another website, it says this:

This is because, you are in free trial period, at the moment the free trials are limited per one website. Only users with memberships can add more websites, for more information please check this link:
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/manuals/using-wpmu-dev/how-free-trials-work/

Please let us know if you still need any further assistance. Have a nice day. :slight_smile:

Kind Regards,
    Nithin

• Nithin

Hey Kristina,

If its possible to stop trial period and start with premium and start to pay now it would be great!

That's awesome!!. Please do note that this is a forum meant for discussions, and issues related to WordPress, and our plugins/themes. For anything related to your membership, you'll have to get in touch with our billing department in order to get this sorted faster. You can contact our Billing Staffs using our secure contact form: http://premium.wpmudev.org/contact/

Please make sure to select I have a billing question, so that one of our billing staffs could get back to you asap. Have a great day ahead. :slight_smile:

Kind Regards,
    Nithin

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.