Smush Not Smushing, Showing Smushed But Google Shows No Smush

Hi, I use this plugin on heaps of sites and I have started seeing that when I do a Google Page Speed Test it shows images are not smushing. Is this a known bug, or something else?

To check, please see: ladymusgraveexperience.com.au or redlandcitydirectory.com.au

• Predrag Dubajic

Hi Jarrad,

Hope you're doing well today :slight_smile:

I had a look at your sites and in the first one ( ladymusgraveexperience.com.au ) is getting some strange results, first test shows there are images that need optimization, second run shows that all images are optimized properly, third one failed as google was unable to reach your site and then foruth one shows that there are again images that need compressing.
    It could be caching issue so can you try clearing any caching plugins and server side caching (if you have one) and try running couple of more tests to see if you're getting same results?

As for the second site ( redlandcitydirectory.com.au ) results here are showing some images that are not comming from WP media folder but some other custom folder inside your WP instaltion.
    Even so the issue with those images is not that they are not compressed, it's actually the image size being larger than its holder, let me explain myself more below.

Google page speed test has two reports for image optimization.

1. Losslessly compressing - This one's is telling that image can be optimized and that's what smushing does.

2. Compressing and resizing - This shows that the images are resized via HTML and/or CSS

The second one is what's shown in your results and that's because your theme is loading images larger than it's HTML holder, for example on your home page "REDLANDS BUSINESS DIRECTORY" section all the icons are 200x200 pixels while the holder of them is only 32x32.

Unfortunately this is not something Smush can deal with since the theme code is written in the way to call the larger image, and even though the image is compressed google doesn't like loading image larger than its holder, so this is something you need to check with the theme devs.

Best regards,
    Predrag

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.