Smush Pro 502 on WPEngine

I have had several sites on WPEngine with the same issue - when going to the WP Smush menu under Media, I end up with a 502 error. This is likely due to Smush checking the folders for the number of unsmushed images and the script doing that takes longer than 60 seconds on sites with a lot of images, causing it to timeout and post a 502 error.

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Tekguild,

I hope you're well today and thank you for your question!

The WP Smush Pro plugin is compatible with WP Engine's services. The timeout error can be caused by a number of reasons but rarely is a matter of "one single plugins". What I mean is: while it usually is a specific plugin that's timing out, the timeout problem is pretty much often caused by a summary of some tasks being performed together. While Smush page loads it's not the only thing that happens on the site, especially "under the hood".

I've just got one of my colleagues to double-test it on his WPEngine setups just to make sure and even with a large number of images that wasn't happening for him. There's a lot of other WPMU DEV Members running Smush on WPE servers with no issues as well.

That being said, don't get me wrong please. I'm not saying that there's no issue with Smush itself. My point is that if it is Smush, the problem seems to be related to specifics of the site configuration so in order to find a solution we'll need to pinpoint the real reason first (timeout is a symptom rather than the cause).

That's why I'd like to perform a full conflict test on your site. I realize that you might want to avoid that on your live site but fortunately WPEngine gives a handy option of creating a staging site with single click.

Could you please create such a staging site, enable WPMU DEV Dashboard plugin on it and also enable support access to that staging site and let me know when it's available?

Kind regards,
    Adam