Smush Pro can't find images

Hi,
I have moved my site with duplicator some months ago, while in the middle of populating the woocommerce catalogue with products and the media library with images.
Now Smush only gets about halfway through smushing and gives an error for images it can't locate. It shows the full path to the files it is looking for.
I have tried manually placing those missing files in the desired location and re Smushing, and it will work for individual files but I have thousands to go.
I have used the regenerate thumbnails plugin, and re run it, and tried re Smush. It worked for a lot of images but I don't want to re run regen thumbnails a third time, I would prefer if I knew why it was happening instead of trying to fix it that way, it puts a heavy load on the server and I don't know how long it would take manually.
I can attach a screenshot of the settings of Smush or anything you need. I would like to get it to compress all images for page speed. Thank you,
David

• Predrag Dubajic

Hi David,

Hope you're doing well.

I see that you have discussed this further with Nastia over chat and additional images were regenerated on your site.
    Are you still having an issue with this or Smush is able to locate all of the images now?

If you're still having issues please let us know what's the exact error you're seeing in Smush and link one of the missing files so we can check further what's going on.

Best regards,
    Predrag

• David

Hi Pedrag,
    Thanks for getting back to me.
    I've being going through the recommendations from the web chat. Regenerate thumbnails is run and finishes, and Smush now finishes, but there are still images that PageSpeed insights still finds as uncompressed. It seems to be all thumbnails of 400 x 400.
    I am working on analysing with Media Cleaner but I am waiting for a reply on a ticket on using it. The developer said they will reply to me as soon as possible.
    Besides Media Cleaner, do you know why Smush is not compressing some of my thumbnail sizes?
    Thanks,
    David.

• Predrag Dubajic

Hi David,

I've checked your site with Google PageSpeed Insights and the thing is that Google page speed test has two reports for image optimization.

1. Compressing - This one's is telling that image can be optimized, that's what smushing takes care of and there are no such reports on your site.

2. Compressing and resizing - This tells us that image is larger than its actual HTML holder.

The second one is what's shown in your results and that's because your theme is loading images larger than it's HTML holder.
    For example, on your homepage the little thumbnails shown there are 400x400 thumbnails loaded but the actual HTML holder of that image is only 183x183 so the image is resized with CSS to fit in that holder.

Unfortunately this is not something Smush can deal with since the theme code is written in the way to call the larger image, and even though the image is compressed google doesn't like loading image larger than its holder, so this is something you need to check with the theme devs.

You can read more about this here:
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/blog/compress-resize-images-wordpress/

Hope this makes sense :slight_smile:

Best regards,
    Predrag

• David

Hi Pedrag,
    This makes sense, thank you.
    I changed the themes columns per row and so the image thumbnail is larger than the smaller HTML holder. I'll need to change the themes dimensions for that thumbnail and regenerate, and try Smush again.
    Is there any way you found the 183 dimension in the page source? Just that if I ever change products per row again I might need to find that dimension, thanks again!
    Regards,
    David