Smush Pro not improving performance speed

I have used the Smush Pro plug-in to improve the image portion of the performance score of this website. However, the score only increased by 1 and thus still remains very low. I have tried resizing the images recommended in Hummingbird plug-in, but it does not seem to have made the change. I scaled the images in wordpress, but when you view the code of the wordpress site, the image pulled is still the larger file. Does scaling through wordpress not work?

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Rooted,

I hope you're well today and thank you for your question!

How much will WP Smush Pro optimization affect your site performance depends mostly on the number and sizes of images.

I checked the site and it seems there's only 92 images in Media Library and while the total savings on optimization is indicated as 11.6MB (nearly 10%) it's just a part of the performance issue. In case of that site that may not be "drastically noticeable" boost as there are other factors involved.

What I mean is that the site itself is quite complex and uses some advanced plugin that consume a lot of resources. When I checked the site I noticed also that for example:

- font files take a lot of time to be loaded
    - CSS files are set to be not cached so they are loaded each time

These are factors that affect performance. While images are surely the big "transfer eaters" in this case there's not a lot of them and they are already optimized quite well.

Please note however: WP Smush Pro doesn't optimize all images but those in Media Library. For images that are e.g. part of the theme, you would want to "optimize" them manually.

As for cropping/resizing images in WP editor. That only works within defined image sizes defined in WordPress but after reviewing the site I don't think it's necessary to do anything about most of them.

In my opinion, after checking the site, WP Smush is working well on the site so in order to speed the site even more some other actions should be taken. If you'd like us to review the site against speed/performance issues, please start a separate thread on our forum and either me or one of my colleagues we will check it and share some tips on what could be done to speed it up more.

If you have any additional questions on this or if you feel that I missed something, let me know please and I'll be glad to assist you further.

Kind regards,
    Adam