Smush Pro on 10,000 plus images

Hi All,

I've loaded a site for a client with just over 1200 pages, and originally it was 5700 images.

My first mistake was not setting WP up to stop producing its multiple image options which then produced 3 new image sizes so now the site had a little of 15,000 images and jumped to 10.1gb

I've tried a number of plugins to remove the duplicates, even selected them by hand in the uploads folder, but as you can see on the image i've loaded its getting out of hand.

The major effect it is having is on the page loading speed, and given its size, the site is too big to take advantage of the CDN

Any thoughts on how to reduce the image or page loading speed please.

• Predrag Dubajic
    • Support

Hi mirecart,

The number that you see in Smush, and shown in your screenshot, is not affected by the number of thumbnails but the original images.
    So if you upload one image and 3 additional thumbnails are created it will not show that there are 4 images that need smushing but only 1.

My first mistake was not setting WP up to stop producing its multiple image options which then produced 3 new image sizes so now the site had a little of 15,000 images and jumped to 10.1gb

Thumbnails created by WP are usually just a fraction of the size of your original image and shouldn't affect your storage too much.
    What I would like to explain here is that the optimization process is not performed on your server, images are pulled to our optimization servers and after they are processed they are sent back to your site and replace the original unoptimized images.
    If you use large images I would suggest setting up image resizing to the max image size that you need on your site and then run a bulk smush.
    After all the images are optimized you should see an effect in available space.

Also, thumbnails are created in order to use them where the original image size is not needed and that will make your pages load faster as the images loaded will be a lot smaller.
    So if you remove the thumbnails on your server you might end up saving some space but you will be loading larger images on front end of your site and get low score due to large images.

Once you finish up with Bulk Smush you can let us know about what's the site in question so we can check if there's anything else that can be done to further improve image effect on your page speed.

P.S. Since this question is about Smush I will move this ticket to our Support forum, you've started it in our Members forum which is a more of general discussion section and it doesn't guarantee a response from support staff.

Best regards,
    Predrag

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.