[Smush Pro] Smush PNG to JPEG Broken Images

Hi there,

I've used Smush auto convert PNG to JPEG for my store however it seems to have broken some images...

-I've tried regenerating thumbnails but that's not helped.

-The image links on front end product pages link to the directory but not the file (eg. wp-content/uploads/2015/12/)

-If I go to edit the product and select the image, it displays the correct image thumbnail in the media gallery (and the correct link) but just won't save back into the product.

"any hard-coded URLs on your site that contain the original PNG filename will need to be updated."

Am I correct in believing my product images aren't hard coded and should have updated automatically?

I've granted support access on my website. Any help / suggestions greatly appreciated!

Thank you :slight_smile:

• Kris
    • Support

Hi Lewis

I'm sorry to hear that you are experiencing this issue.
    I try to add some test small images to your site and they work ok.
    I try also to add some larger image to your site and I get HTTP Error.

When I refresh site it display this error:

Looks like you hosting plan reach limit and while you try to convert PNG to JPG and run BULK SMUSH this generate new JPG files as additional files on server (PNG files was not removed as you have enabled -> Store a copy of my full size images ). So when process was run it could have not enough space to generate those JPG images.

While runing regenerate thumbnails process this could also kill disk space more and images thumbnails cannot be regenerate fully.

I also see you have low memory limit.
    Could you add this one to your wp-config.php file:
    define( 'WP_MEMORY_LIMIT', '512M' );
    The line should be placed above the "/* That's all, stop editing! Happy blogging. */".

Can you double check on your host account what are the values for:
    I/O usege
    Disk space quota
    and if there is not enough space consider to delete some files.
    After that use regenerate thumbnails plugins again.

Please let us know about the results.

Kind Regards,
    Kris

• Lewis
    • Flash Drive

Hi Kris, thanks for the response.

-I've increased the memory limit.

-I've tried regenerating thumbnails on individual images instead of bulk but they're still showing as broken.

-Hosting values are as follows;

I/O Usage - 3 KB/s / 2 MB/s
    Disk Space Usage - 26.18 GB / 48.83 GB
    CPU Usage - 18 / 100
    Physical Memory Usage - 73.98 MB / 2 GB

Do you think I should run the JPEG-PNG / Bulk smush again? I haven't touched it since it broke the images, I didn't want to break anything further.

• Kris
    • Support

Hi Lewis

I've tried also regenerating thumbnails on individual images but they're still showing as broken for me as well. I also notice that those images are visible in main media library. However when you change image for product and then you try to change again this image can be re-search in modal box library, like it does not exist.

Can you tell me when convert PNG to JPEG feature was enabled and when this bulk smush was run? I made some research in google cache pages and I notice that some category pages from 25-30 July does not display images for some inside categories.

Also can you ask hosting provider what are the available dates of backups on host side so you could try to restore site to point before Bulk Smush date?

Kind Regards,
    Kris

• Kris
    • Support

I also notice one more thing: while test server constantly display random error which I mention first time. If this happen all the time and server has such hiccups Smush process could be break and data to database to change PNG path to JPG could be break.
    But these are just guesses base on this hiccup I see constantly.

• Lewis
    • Flash Drive

Hi Kris,

The PNG - JPEG feature was run around then - 26th or 27th of July.

I'd rather not restore from a backup if at all possible. I ran it as part of a website redesign & optimisation so any backups available from before Smush wouldn't have the new design and other edits that were done.

Its frustrating because as you say they're there in the media library when you click on them, I don't understand why it doesn't carry through into the product.

Do you have any other ideas which might get this fixed without having to re-upload all the images/loose the recent design & optimisation changes? I should have taken a backup before running it really so sorry for the hassle!

Thank you.

• Kris
    • Support

Hi Lewis

At this point the two fast solution I see is:

1. Restore site from backup which was made before 26th of July.

2. Re-upload those images separate as product thumbnails and products galleries (with Smush and Regenerate Thumbnails plugins disabled so they no affect new upload).
    Then make full site backup. After that Enable Smush once again.

Case nr 2 is more save I think from my point of view as you fix image or gallery separate.
    In case nr 1 I worry about this server hiccup which exist all the time and process of restore could break it self and could break site completely.

Kind Regards,
    Kris

• Lewis
    • Flash Drive

Hi Kris, neither are fast solutions really. Id rather do option 2 but there's a lot of images broken, its going to take forever!

Is there absolutely no other solution worth exploring before I start? It would be amazing if this could be fixed another way & I'd be extremely grateful.

Thank you. :slight_smile:

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.