[Smush Pro] Smush PRO to serve WebP regardless of CDN. CDN to integrate with WP Media Offload

I use WP Media Offload for various reasons.

As it currently stands I cannot use Smush CDN nor its features, cause it does not work with WP Media Offload.

Also, Smush Pro cannot serve WebP images on its own.

This means by using WP Media Offload which is supposed to work nicely with Smush, I can't serve WebPs at all.

Either way would've been workable, but having neither makes Smush itself less appealing.

• Adam Czajczyk
    • Support Gorilla

Hello Michele

I hope you’re well today and thank you for for your questions!

I understand your concerns but there are two factors that need to be taken into account. First one is that since you’re already using S3 it’s and “offload” already so basically what Smush CDN does. Smush CDN do offload images to our servers and serves them via StackPath cdn but still – it’s an offload. S3 offload is very similar thing but just through a different providers.

As for WebP, we can only support that if the images are offloaded to the Smush CDN. We already got a feature planned (it’s on our developers’ “to do” list) to also provide WebP support for images hosted locally wherever it’s possible – though it won’t be possible everywhere due to the fact that it does require server/host support. However, WebP for images offloaded to S3 or other similar destinations, is technically complex and not reliable and I wouldn’t expect that anytime soon.

To sum it up – if you’re using S3 offload, Smush will work with it as it will optimize images upon upload and/or through bulk smushing. For WebP and Smush CDN the images would have to – originally – be hosted in an environment local to your WP install.

Kind regards,

Adam

• Michele
    • Flash Drive

Hello,

thanks for your answer. I do understand your points, but the main point for using WP Offload in the first place is to have a convenient “bucket” to keep all the media, meaning my WP install is only a couple hundred megabytes big, easy to backup and move, without the 20+ GBs of pictures of various sizes and all of that.

However that doesn’t cover the image processing for a website, just the storing part, as images have a need to be resized, optimized and served.

I understand the difficulty of the approach, I am saying that it would be very important to find one good approach if there is any. Be it with Smush CDN on top of the WP Offload (Offload rewrites URLs with whatever I tell it to, so if there was a way to integrate that, Smush CDN could take its cache like normal CDNs do and serve it that way) or any other, otherwise smush itself loses a good chunk of its usefulness.

Most websites may not have so many images, I understand, but at the moment I am handling one with thousands of products/variations and being able to store them in a bucket without having a gargantuan wordpress installation is very important, along with making it load fast enough, which makes serving webp a priority as well.

Again, I know it might not be a request shared by many others, but it would make the difference in my case.

Thanks,

Michele

• Predrag Dubajic
    • Support

Hi Michele,

Thanks for sharing additional thoughts and information about this.

It is actually something that has been discussed before but quite complex to accomplish as Adam mentioned, however, that doesn’t mean that it’s off the table and I have shared your post with our developers that are responsible for this so they can discuss it further :slight_smile:

Best regards,

Predrag

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.