[Smush Pro] Some Images & Icons Not Displaying

Hi, I got Smush Pro about a month ago. Ever since I activated it, I've noticed that certain images and icons are not displaying correctly.

Firstly, icons like the social media links in the upper right corner of my site and the home page button on the left side of my main menu show up as boxes, at least on Chrome and Firefox; on Safari those still seem to display correctly. I'm not sure how to fix it so that those icons display correctly, across web browsers.

Another big issue on all three web browsers is that several images don't display correctly. Many of my featured images on news posts (and those featured images pulled for the home page) don't show up, instead showing a default icon and the title of the missing image. However, this only happens for some images. Many of my posts' featured images do display correctly.

I've tried changing several settings but nothing has resolved the issue. How can I make it so the icons and images always display correctly?

Thank you!

• Adam Czajczyk
    • Support Gorilla

Hello Amanda

I hope you're well today and thank you for your question!

I checked the site and the issue with icons is not related to Smush Pro plugin. Icons are not images but fonts (from Font Awesome). Apparently they are offloaded to Stackpath CDN and that causes CORS (basically - a "cross origin" security policy is triggered) error, blocking these necessary fonts from being loaded.

Are you by any chance using WP Fastest Cache plugin? If yes, go to WP Fastest Cache configuration and in CDN section go to StackPath Settings.

You should see a list of file types there so make sure to uncheck at least following ones:

.ttf
    .woff
    .eot
    .otf
    .woff2

Since you are using Smuch, I would also recommend unchecking

.gif,
    .jpg,
    .jpeg,
    .png
    .svg

as these are image files that are processed by Smush. Once that's done, save settings and clear all caches and it should, most likely, fix both issues.

If it doesn't, I'll need to take a closer look so in such case, please enable support access to the site. To do that, please go to the "WPMU DEV -> Support -> Support Access" page in site's back-end and click on "Grant Support Access" button there, then let me know here once it's done as I won't be automatically notified.

Best regards,
    Adam

• Amanda
    • New Recruit

Hi Adam,

Thanks for your response and for the information. I did suspect StackPro might be part of the issue - I got it the same weekend I got SmushPro.

I don't use the WP Fastest Cache plugin; I'm using the W3 Total Cache one. Even so, I went into that one and tried to do what you said. Under the "CDN" part of its settings, I moved the file types you said to uncheck from the "file types to upload" to the "file types to import" section - but perhaps that wasn't what I should do? I saved and purged the cache, then also cleared my cache on Chrome and Firefox, but the issues persist.

I've granted support access, so if it's something you could look into directly, that'd be super!

Thanks!
    Amanda

• Amanda
    • New Recruit

Hi!

I replied to this four days ago, and granted the support access to my site, but I haven't heard back yet. It says the support access will only remain for 22 more hours from now.

Just wanted to see if there's an update on getting this fixed.

Thanks!

• Predrag Dubajic
    • Support

Hi Amanda,

Really sorry for the delay here, we were a bit short staffed for few days and are doing best to get back everything back in normal.

I had a look at your site and the issue indeed seems to be related to W3TC CDN, if you go to the settings there and disable "Host Attachments" and "Host Theme Files" options (and clear the cache after that) you should see that the site is loading fine after that.

The CDN is affecting also files that are served via CDN, not just images, so there are probably some functionality issues happening on your site as well.

I would suggest checking with StackPath to see if there's anything else needed for W3TC to use CDN properly.

Best regards,
    Predrag

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.