[Smush Pro] Usage Tracking setting being ignored

Hi WPMU Dev,

The onboarding feature for Smush and your other plugins has “Allow Usage Tracking” selected by defualt. This should not be the case for EU customers ( like myself ) due to GDPR laws. The reason is that the onboarding process can easily be skipped/ignored and therefore you are allowing “Usage Tracking” without getting explicit consent because you have the option automatically ticked which is against GDPR, this should be unticked by default.

Furthermore, if you complete the onboarding process, save it and have chosen NOT to allow Usage Tracking, the choice is ignored and when the plugin settings are reviewed the “Usage Tracking” setting is enabled even though it was turned off during onboarding.

Turning it off in the plugin settings and clicking save works but this should not need to be checked if the Usage Tracking was turned off during onboarding.

Kind regards,

Simon

• Ash
    • WordPress Hacker

Hello Simon

Thank you for your concern and sharing with us. I will pass this to the smush team so that they can internally discuss it.

Furthermore, if you complete the onboarding process, save it and have chosen NOT to allow Usage Tracking, the choice is ignored and when the plugin settings are reviewed the “Usage Tracking” setting is enabled even though it was turned off during onboarding.

I have just tested on a fresh wordpress install but could not replicate it on my test site. When I deselected from quick setup screen, it was off in the settings as well. Are you trying on a multisite or single site? If multisite, then subdomain based or sub-folder based? Would you please try on a fresh install if possible?

Have a nice day!

Cheers,

Ash

• Simon
      • Design Lord, Child of Thor

Hi Ash,

This is a single site.

I will try a fresh install if possible ASAP, although it will most likely be on a local environment which won’t help. The only issue I can think of at this early stage is a possible plugin conflict.

However, if the Usage Tracking was not enabled by default, then I wouldn’t have to worry about the setting not saving correctly during onboarding. Are you able to confirm if WPMU Dev is going to change the default behaviour with regards to tracking?

Due to how the onboarding feature works, it is in breach of GDPR to have the Usage Tracking enabled by default in my understanding.

Kind regards,

Simon

• Ash
        • WordPress Hacker

Hello Simon

We have internally discussed the issue you mentioned. This has nothing to do with GDPR. There is no personally identifiable information about that tracking, it’s just plugin settings usage. They also have the option to disable this at any time even if they skip the setup modal at first. Woocommerce and Jetpack have this on by default which is from Automattic, for example.

But still, we will pass their feedback to the team so they can further assess for the future.

Have a nice day!

Cheers,

Ash

• Simon
          • Design Lord, Child of Thor

Hi Ash,

Thanks for continuing to follow-up with this. I still have not had a chance to test a fresh install.

I don’t use Jetpack but I am well versed in WooCommerce. I turn off all their telemetry for clients. Thanks for pointing out those examples.

When you say plugin usage tracking ( in this case, for Smush Pro ) does your tracking record IP addresses? If so, that would make this issue fall under GDPR.

Kind regards,

Simon

• Nithin
    • Support Wizard

Hi Simon,

When you say plugin usage tracking ( in this case, for Smush Pro ) does your tracking record IP addresses? If so, that would make this issue fall under GDPR.

I double checked with the developer, Smush doesn’t track IP records, email, name etc in any way.

WPMU DEV adheres to GDPR, please check the plugin documentation for more info about our plugins:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/docs/privacy/our-plugins/

Regards,

Nithin

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.