Smush setting for art gallery website

Hi I wonder if you can advise what setting/how I should have Smush set up for.

As images are of paintings for an art gallery I do not wish to loose any perceivable quality.
Smush currently shaving off a bit of file size but a good number of images seem to load up slowly.

Only box currently ticked in pro setting is Enable NextGen Gallery integration.

Do I need to tick more, or will this spoil image quality. Trying to get site to load faster and wanted to start with images.

Thank you in advance.

Settings

S

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello andrew!

I hope you're well today and thank you for your question!

The WP Smush Pro plugin offers two optimization modes: losless and lossy. The first one reduces file size as much as possible without quality loss. The second one is much more efficient but may result in a noticeable quality loss. In many cases this wouldn't be an issue but in this case I wouldn't recommend it.

My suggestion would be to stick to losless optimization (so don't change Smush settings) and in addition:

- either manually or with some external plugin resize huge images so their dimensions wouldn't be bigger (height, width) than the biggest size used on site;
    - try to use as simple theme and as little plugins as possible
    - use our Hummingbird plugin and some caching plugin (e.g. W3 Total Cache or WP Supercache) to reduce server/browser load and speed up the site.

https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/wp-hummingbird/

I hope that helps!
    Best regard,
    Adam

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.