Smush Settings Messed up Media

I turned on some of the WP Smush settings and it screwed up a lot of my media files and caused;

1. Some images to not show up on some posts/pages as featured image.
2. Some images not to show up within the post
2. Some images to not show up in the media library (even though the thumbnail in the library shows & the hard files are accessible on the server via direct link)
3. Some thumbnails not show up in the media library (even though the hard files are accessible on the server via direct link).
4. Some images to say they are attached to posts that they are not.
5. All of the above. Yet, the hard files are all still there on my server in the uploads folder).
6. some image galleries within posts not to show.

Some it didn't effect at all.

Basically, it made a mess of my media library and some images (and their attached posts).

How do I resolve this. Re-uploading them all is not an option as I have too many posts.

• Kasia Swiderska

Hello Lou,

Would you mind allowing support access so we can have a closer look at this?
    Is it possible that you used option "Convert PNG to JPEG (lossy) " ? That could explain change in hardcoded src od images in posts, but all the others should work fine.

To enable support access you can follow this guide here:
    http://premium.wpmudev.org/manuals/wpmu-dev-dashboard-enabling-staff-login/

You can get back to the pre-smush state if images using this plugin https://srd.wordpress.org/plugins/regenerate-thumbnails/ - but it will only work if you haven't smush original sizes and you need to disable "Automatically smush my images on upload"

kind regards,
    Kasia

• Lou

"Is it possible that you used option "Convert PNG to JPEG (lossy) " ?"
    Yes, I did. I turned most of the settings off afterword to see if it would resolve the problem.

"You can get back to the pre-smush state if images using this plugin https://srd.wordpress.org/plugins/regenerate-thumbnails/"
    -I will let you look at it fist to see if you can resolve it before hand.

"To enable support access you can follow this guide here:
    http://premium.wpmudev.org/manuals/wpmu-dev-dashboard-enabling-staff-login/
    ok...I will do this....I'd like to give you direct links to the images in the media gallery to show you. I reuploaded some of the important featured images already.

• Rupok

Hi Lou,

So sorry for the delay and I do apologize for this. We try to reply older threads first but every time you put a new reply, your thread becomes a fresh new one and goes down in the queue. However, we will try to make sure you get a faster response.

And thanks for sending the image URLs which are having the problem. As Kasia suggested above, can you please regenerate all thumbnails with this plugin and check if this issue is resolved? I believe, all your issues will be removed after this.

If not, please let us know. We will be glad to investigate further.

Have a nice day. Cheers!
    Rupok

• Lou

I really hope I will get a response faster this time considering it took an hour to run this plugin

And thanks for sending the image URLs which are having the problem. As Kasia suggested above, can you please regenerate all thumbnails with this plugin and check if this issue is resolved? I believe, all your issues will be removed after this.

Running the plugin did not resolve the problem. All it did was slow my site to a snails pace for an hour (that's with dedicated hosting). In fact, it's still running at a pace that would discourage anyone from using it.

There are still some images are not showing with the posts (and getting a broken image in it's place). The URLs I showed still have the same problems. Also, the weird improper linking relationships isn't resolved either. In fact, there are even a few image thumbnails not showing as well.

My site is also running absurdly slow to the point of it being inaccessible (on dedicated hosting with a theme that is supposed to be very user friendly). I also run a wordpress forum on the site (and this is clearly going to discourage any traffic). The whole point of these plugins was to speed up my sites and it's why I've considered paying for this service.

FYI: It's been 5 hours since I opened this ticket.

"We try to reply older threads first but every time you put a new reply, your thread becomes a fresh new one and goes down in the queue. However, we will try to make sure you get a faster response."

Why did my site dashboard support section show Keira being logged in to my site a full hour before you replied to my ticket? Why did she even ask me for access if all I was going to get was a follow up telling me to run a plugin that she suggeted I run in the original post.

It also seems kind of silly to discourage users from following-up on tickets and adding information to the ticket.

Also, in a previous ticket, Keira said;

As for the Hummingbird - this is not cache plugin so you still should be able to use it (maybe except the minification - when that option is not configured correctly it can create issues on site).

I don't understand this. Why is there a specific part of the plugin that configures; "BROWSER CACHING" And, what if I am running Cloudfare within the Hummingbird plugin?

So, should I also install another Caching plugin as well? Most of them include most of the same features that Hummingbird does with them? I'd like to avoid redundant and unnecessary plugins. This whole WPMUDEV membership was advertised as offering "all the plugins you will ever need".

It doesn't seem like that is the case as I have had to run another plugin to fix the problems WP Smush Pro caused (which didn't even fix the issues) On top of that, I am learning that I need to run another Caching plugin with Hummingbird to optimize the speed of my site.

I tried to run the "Smart Crawl" plugin and it broke my entire site. I opened a ticket on this as well, but have yet to follow up because it's last on my list of problems right now.

• Nithin

Hi Lou,

Sorry to know that the issue hasn't been resolved, and for the delay in getting back to you. I checked your website, and it seems like you have deleted the Regenerate Thumbnails plugin. Could you please install the plugin, so that I could see what you are facing when using that plugin?

When you enable Convert PNG to JPEG (lossy) option, what it does is change all original PNG images in the Media Library to JPEG. In short, this will change the original image URL from png to jpg.

When enabling Convert PNG to JPEG (lossy) option, you'll have to make sure you either take a backup of these images, or enable Make a copy of my original images option, so that all the original image can be restored later. What that specific feature does is alter the existing images, and hence you'll notice such broken images in your system, if the old image paths are still hard coded in your themes.

You'll have to update the hard coded image URLs to the current ones where you see broken links in your themes, and for images which seems to be broken you'll have to use Regenerate Thumbnails plugins.

Since you have deleted the Regenerate Thumbnails plugin, I'm not quite sure what's the exact issue you were facing. If it's related to your server being slow, please try increasing your memory limit, and then check whether that helps?

To increase your memory limit, you'll have to create a php.ini file inside your root directory, and add the following rules to it:
    For eg:

upload_max_filesize = 128M
    post_max_size = 256M
    memory_limit = 512M
    file_uploads = On
    max_execution_time = 180

If you aren't able to increase your memory limit, would recommend you to get in touch with your host, in order to increase these values.

Please check this link for more info:
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/blog/increase-memory-limit/

I don't understand this. Why is there a specific part of the plugin that configures; "BROWSER CACHING" And, what if I am running Cloudfare within the Hummingbird plugin?

Hummingbird isn't a caching plugin, what it provides is compression, minify, browser caching, and website performance reports. In order to help get your website optimized within few simple steps.

Hummingbird does provide integration with Cloudflare, so once connected under Hummingbird > Dashboard you can control the Cloudflare settings via the Hummingbird plugin.

It doesn't seem like that is the case as I have had to run another plugin to fix the problems WP Smush Pro caused (which didn't even fix the issues) On top of that, I am learning that I need to run another Caching plugin with Hummingbird to optimize the speed of my site.

We are using another plugin because the images are somehow broken in your system. It isn't a common issue, and hence suggested the Regenerated Thumbnails plugin, as that's the plugin which could fix broken images.

Use of cache plugin depends upon one server to another, and how long the server takes to respond. I could see you already have a caching plugin installed, so it should help with caching your optimized website.

Please let us know once you have activated the Regenerate Thumbnails plugin, so that we could have a better idea regarding this. And if needed, I'll make sure to check this with the developer so that we could help get you sorted asap.

Please advise if I had missed out anything, have a nice day. :slight_smile:

Best Regards,
    Nithin

• Lou

You'll have to update the hard coded image URLs to the current ones where you see broken links in your themes, and for images which seems to be broken you'll have to use Regenerate Thumbnails plugins.

There was no broken images in my theme. They were all within the library, and the Regenerate Thumbnails plugin did not fix it. I manually re-uploaded all the images myself to resolve this.

Hummingbird isn't a caching plugin, what it provides is compression, minify, browser caching, and website performance reports. In order to help get your website optimized within few simple steps.

We are using another plugin because the images are somehow broken in your system. It isn't a common issue, and hence suggested the Regenerated Thumbnails plugin, as that's the plugin which could fix broken images.

This is not what I mean. Most people will want a caching plugin to maximize speed. Most caching plugins can do what Hummingbird does (compression, minify, browser caching, website performance reports). So, if many people will still need a Caching plugin (along with Hummingbird), and the caching plugin (such a W3 Total Cache) can do what Hummingbird does, why even use the hummingbird plugin at all?

WPMUDEV's premium subscription (at a pricey fee of $50/month) was advertised to me as all one stop solution to all the plugins our sites will ever need. This hardly seems to be the case as other plugins are still required (such as a Caching plugin with Hummingbird).

• Kasia Swiderska

Hello Lou,

They were all within the library, and the Regenerate Thumbnails plugin did not fix it. I manually re-uploaded all the images myself to resolve this.

Would it be possible that I could test images that broke on your site? I've tested smushing with PNG to JPGE option and I could not replicate that problem.
    What happen there could be result of plugin conflict or error in Smush, but without debuging we can't tell for sure. We can start from image check.
    I can retest those exact same images on my site, but I would need url to original sizes to copy them.

There was no broken images in my theme. They were all within the library, and the Regenerate Thumbnails plugin did not fix it. I manually re-uploaded all the images myself to resolve this.

Many other plugins can do what Hummingbird does. We just like to think we do it better (for example: it is easier to configure Humminbird than W3 Total Cache). Also, by using Hummingbird alongside all our other services it centralizes site management in the Hub and our minification is hosted on our CDN. This can be a big time saver if you are working on managing multiple sites.

kind regards,
    Kasia

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.