Smushed Images still large

I have Smushed all my images, yet Google PageSpeed Test still tells me uncompressed images are the #1 reason my site is slow.

• Kasia Swiderska

Hello Sun Country Marine,

Your images are smushed but google says it is because dimensions of images your site score is low. It means that you are loading on your site to big images for their containers and then with CSS shrink them to smaller dimensions.
    Please look at screenshot from your site

Image in slider is almost twice big as it should be. If wrapper is 1200x300px then image should also be this size not bigger.
    You have to change images so they will fit perfectly into container and then you will get higher score.

kind regards,
    Kasia

• Sun Country Marine

Hi Kasia,
    Thank you for taking a look. As the attached screen shot shows, our site is viewed through a wide range of screen resolutions. And the products we promote are best shown in high res, large, crisp imagery.

We therefore upload large images to better show on larger screens and then downsize them (responsive) to smaller screens.

To upload smaller sizes and enlarge for larger screens would provide a poor quality result.

Can you recommend a better solution?

• Rupok

Hi Sun Country Marine,

To upload smaller sizes and enlarge for larger screens would provide a poor quality result.

You are absolutely right. But in that case, you will have to ignore the PageSpeed image size warning because you are doing this on purpose. PageSpeed tool suggests you on generic basis. That means, it assumes that your image container has a fixed width and the image you are using there should be of that container size to optimize your site loading speed.

As you need to use higher resolution images regardless of the container size, I'm afraid, I can't see any better alternative.

Please let us know if you have any further inquiry. We will be glad to help.

Have a nice day. Cheers!
    Rupok

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.