Smusher Not Smushing (seems to be paused)

Hey guys!

I installed the WP Smush Pro plugin earlier yesterday and sent 299 files to get smushed. All files were successfully sent but so far none have been fetched. It still says "smushing in progress." I saw that there are problems with the app working correctly when W3 Total Cache is installed (which we have on the site), so I deactivated the W3 plugin but it doesn't look like anything is happening.

Any idea what might be happening?
Thanks!!
-Kevin

• Michael Bissett

Hey @Kevin Fullerton, welcome to the WPMU DEV Community, hope you're doing well today! :slight_smile:

I just tried resetting the request for you here, it's possible that it got stuck before. However, should it stuck for you again, I would try disabling W3 Total Cache, and then resetting the request yourself by adding this parameter to the URL:

&wp-smpro-allow_reset=true

So that it looks like this:

/wp-admin/upload.php?page=wp-smpro-admin&wp-smpro-allow_reset=true

And try resetting the request after you've disabled W3 Total Cache.

If that doesn't do the trick, please let us know, and we'll dig into this further. :slight_smile:

Kind Regards,
    Michael

• Kevin Fullerton

Hey Michael!

Still trying to get the plugin to work. It looks like it is stuck again, but I can't seem to get the reset to work. I ended up having to restart the process and I think two batches of all the site's photos may have been sent for smushing. There really doesn't seem to be any kind of progress with the compression of the files, or at least none that I can see. Maybe I'm just being impatient with the process, but should it take this long to smush the files? I know there are quite a few (299), so it very well could take longer than I realize.

The W3 plugin is still installed, but is deactivated. Do I need to delete the plugin entirely before the plugin can work properly?

Thanks!

• Michael Bissett

Hey @Kevin Fullerton,

Nope, it shouldn't be taking this long for that many files, and after doing some testing (which included disabling the other plugins on your site), so far, only the single smush requests seem to be behaving themselves (as you'll now notice some smushed images on the site).

Could I ask you to send in the following via our secure contact form, so that we can debug this further:

- Mark to my attention, the subject line should contain only: ATTN: Michael Bissett
    - Do not include anything else in the subject line, doing so may delay our response due to how email filtering works.
    - Link back to this thread
    - Include WordPress admin access details (login address, username & password)
    - Include FTP log-in details (hostname, username & password)
    - Include any relevant URLs for your site

On the contact form (linked to below), please select "I have a different question", this ensures it comes through and gets assigned to me.

https://premium.wpmudev.org/contact/

Thanks a bunch! :slight_smile:

Kind Regards,
    Michael

• Kevin Fullerton

I managed to fix the bio pages and figured out what was causing the overall problems. It seems like one of the plugins that was tested ended up being deleted (the JP Sharing plugin), which left a useless shortcode within each of the bio pages and, in turn, broke all of the pages that had that shortcode. An email capture within the header is also acting up and I'm still working on fixing that. It seems that issue may have been caused by another plugin being tested / deactivated as well.

For now please refrain from getting into the website. Perhaps we can do a walkthrough of possible fixes when ready.

-Nick

• Michael Bissett

Hey @Kevin Fullerton,

Sorry to hear about the issues you've been running into as of late, that's definitely no good!

It seems like one of the plugins that was tested ended up being deleted (the JP Sharing plugin), which left a useless shortcode within each of the bio pages and, in turn, broke all of the pages that had that shortcode.

Odd... I did disable all of the plugins on your site momentarily (in my post on the 10th), and then doing another bulk smush, but I recall reactivating the plugins once I was finished with doing that. Not sure how a plugin got deleted in the process of all that (I would only want to delete a plugin if it was one that I had installed temporarily on your site for diagnostic purposes, so that you're not left with a extra plugin you don't need).

I haven't gone into your site with the details you've sent in yet, and I'll leave off doing so until you give the go-ahead here.

Let me know if there's anything I can help with please! :slight_smile:

Kind Regards,
    Michael

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.