Snapshop Pro backup smaller than expected

Hi, I have recently started using Snapshot Pro to make a Managed Backup of my sites, however the resulting backup is much smaller than expected (115MB vs 237MB from BackupBuddy). In addition, there are several tmp files in the directory public_html/wp-content/uploads/snapshots that are 225MB, suggesting that backup should be bigger. The total tmp files are about 900MB now, I was previously using local backups.

Does the backup size look ok ?

Also, can I delete the tmp files in the snapshot directory, I am running out of server space ?

I have enabled support access.

Thanks Greg

Dimitris

Hey there Greg,

hope you're doing good and thanks for reaching us!

I inspected your website and the managed backups logs and all seem to be fine.
    The way to be 100% sure that this managed backup includes everything, is to try to restore it in a test installation. This can even be in a local installation like XAMP, VVV (or my personal favourite Local by Flywheel).

You should be able to go to your Hub page, select your website, open the Backups tab and here you should be seeing your cloud backup. Follow the instructions in the popup window and let us know how that goes!

There are no temp snapshots in /wp-content/uploads/snapshots/ directory by default, these should be older files.
    Could you please try to go to Snapshot -> Import, hit the import button and check if these snapshots are being visible in Snapshots and/or Managed Backups page?

Warm regards,
    Dimitris

Greg

Hi Dimitris

Thanks for your help on this problem.

Unfortunately I wasn't able to restore the backups nor Import them.

In frustration, I then deleted the Snapshot plugin and reinstalled it. On running a new Managed Backup by using the Backup Now button, unfortunately it didn't create a cloud backup, but rather a 331MB local backup. I tried to do another backup and after a long time got a message "Ah shucks, something went wrong ..... <empty response>"

I tried again and this time and the process was a lot quicker, with a remote backup of 165MG made.

I have now deleted all old tmp files as well.

A new scheduled backup is scheduled for tonight and I will let you know whether this was successful.

Greg

Greg

Hi Predrag,

Unfortunately I haven't made much progress on solving the problem, the scheduled backups didn't work and I had to delete tmp files from the Snapshot directory as I ran out of space. I have allowed support access so you can look at the logs.

I also have 5 other websites, with Snapshot pro installed with automatic backups set, unfortunately only 1 seems to have worked properly, some just make local backups (but not set for local), some say "Automatic backups currently running" but days and others nothing at all. Let me know if you want to have access of these sites as well.

All my sites are on the same premium host in Australia.

Thanks

Greg

Predrag Dubajic

Hi Greg,

Can you activate debug log on at least two non working site and on the one that it works so we could compare those and see if there's anything that could tell us what's going on?

You can enable debug log in your wp-config.php file (located in root WP folder) by replacing define('WP_DEBUG', false); with this code:

define('WP_DEBUG', true);
    define('WP_DEBUG_LOG', true);
    define('WP_DEBUG_DISPLAY', false);
    @ini_set( 'display_errors', 0 );

Wait for managed backup to fail and this should create debug.log file in your wp-content folder that could tell us what is going on.
    Save those debug files as .txt files and attach them here so we can check them out.

Also, could you get in touch with your hosting provider as well and ask them to compare server logs from working and non working site and perhaps we can find some info there?

Best regards,
    Predrag

Predrag Dubajic

Hi Greg,

Apologies for the long overdue here, we had couple of staff on leave so it was bit hard getting back to everyone in time, we're back at full capacity now so there shouldn't be such delays again.

The log files are just notices to there's not much that tells us what's going on unfortunately.

Could you provide us with your WP admin and cPanel login details so we can investigate this further.
    You can send us your details using our contact form https://premium.wpmudev.org/contact/#i-have-a-different-question and the template below:

Subject: "Attn: Predrag Dubajic"
    - Site login url
    - WordPress admin username
    - WordPress admin password
    - cPanel credentials (host/username/password)
    - Link back to this thread for reference
    - Any other relevant urls

Best regards,
    Predrag