Snapshot

I have an error log getting created at an amazing pace - I managed to get a look at it (the first time I saw it the log was too big to open) here is the error:
WHERE option_name = 'wpmudev_snapshot' made by do_action_ref_array, call_user_func_array, WPMUDEVSnapshot->snapshot_remote_file_cron_proc, WPMUDEVSnapshot->process_item_remote_files, WPMUDEVSnapshot->load_config
[25-Feb-2013 18:45:06] Coburn Enterprises database error MySQL server has gone away for query SELECT option_value FROM wp_options

Any suggestions? For now I have deactivated the plugin.

Thanks!
Harmony

• coburnenterprises

Hi Paul - thanks for the follow up - the error log is huge (takes a long time to open). What would be the best way to get it to you? I turned the plugin back on to try to get you some information and my error log rapidly started to fill up again so I had to turn it back off. I was able to get a small version of it but this is all it says:
    [27-Feb-2013 17:23:41] Coburn Enterprises database error MySQL server has gone away for query SELECT option_value FROM wp_options
    WHERE option_name = 'wpmudev_snapshot' made by do_action_ref_array, call_user_func_array, WPMUDEVSnapshot->snapshot_remote_file_cron_proc, WPMUDEVSnapshot->process_item_remote_files, WPMUDEVSnapshot->add_update_config_item, WPMUDEVSnapshot->load_config
    [27-Feb-2013 17:23:59] Coburn Enterprises database error MySQL server has gone away for query SELECT option_value FROM wp_options
    WHERE option_name = 'wpmudev_snapshot' made by do_action_ref_array, call_user_func_array, WPMUDEVSnapshot->snapshot_remote_file_cron_proc, WPMUDEVSnapshot->process_item_remote_files, WPMUDEVSnapshot->add_update_config_item, WPMUDEVSnapshot->load_config
    [27-Feb-2013 17:24:17] Coburn Enterprises database error MySQL server has gone away for query SELECT option_value FROM wp_options

I think that the problem may have to do with trying to save to DropBox (remote saving). Your thoughts?

• Paul

@bettereverything, you probably will not be able to upload files other than with a zip or image type (jpg, gif) extension.

As for the log snippet you did provide I don't think this has anything to do with Dropbox. This is just the Snapshot plugin trying to load its settings information from the wp_options table. This is standard startup processing. not sure why it is throwing an error.

See the line "SELECT option_value FROM wp_options WHERE option_name = 'wpmudev_snapshot'"

This is just a query to load the settings into memory from the wp_options table. Snapshot as well as WordPress and every other plugin you are running does this same query for their own respective settings.

I'm going to suggest maybe you are running out of memory. Try increasing the memory via your wp-config.php http://codex.wordpress.org/Editing_wp-config.php#Increasing_memory_allocated_to_PHPBy default for Multisite WordPress will allocate 64M of memory. But depending on your theme and other plugins you probably should double it to 128M.

Give that a try and report back. I'll keep digging on my end.

• aecnu

Greetings bettereverything,

We have not heard back from you as to the status of this issue.

If you are still having an issue please let us know so that we may try to get you fixed up as soon as possible by choosing to check mark this ticket as unresolved below and posting any new errors or symptoms you are noticing.

This action will also bring your ticket up front back in plain view again within the ticket system.

Thank you for being a WPMU DEV Community Member!

Cheers, Joe

• DDV

I have the same issue.

It happens on all sites I install the plugin into. My memory limit is 256MB. This is set in php.ini at above public_html, in root, in the site root directories and wp-admin.

I'm running backups to the local server and to Dropbox.

Have set PHP to not log repeat errors which has helped reduce error log sizes - that's a tip for anyone else.

Have set PHP to allow persistent MySQL connections.

I'm about to test on a clean install on a local server where I've allocated 512MB of RAM per script. Will report back.

Sample (sanitized) error log:

[20-Apr-2013 17:00:17 UTC] WordPress database error MySQL server has gone away for query SELECT option_value FROM XXXX_options
    					WHERE option_name = 'wpmudev_snapshot' LIMIT 1 made by do_action_ref_array, call_user_func_array, WPMUDEVSnapshot->snapshot_remote_file_cron_proc, WPMUDEVSnapshot->process_item_remote_files, WPMUDEVSnapshot->add_update_config_item, WPMUDEVSnapshot->load_config
    [20-Apr-2013 17:00:17 UTC] WordPress database error MySQL server has gone away for query SELECT option_value FROM XXXX_options WHERE option_name = '_transient_doing_cron' LIMIT 1 made by _get_cron_lock

A google shows another site also has the same error and a security issue I'm about to approach them to fix :slight_smile:

http://parisunraveled.com/error_log

• Paul

@DDV,

Let us know if you figure anything else out on this issue. The reported query you provided is actually created by WordPress. During the startup (on page load) processing of Snapshot it calls the WordPress function get_option(). This function simple loads an item from the wp_options table based on the provided key which in the case of Snapshot is 'wpmudev_snapshot'.

Not much I can think of that would cause the 'MySQL server has gone away' message.

• aecnu

Greetings DDV,

Knock, Knock - Housekeeping --> Just checking if this issue was eventually resolved in another thread? Or by yourself separately to us? Or by us over email with you? Or using our live support?

If so, no need to reply, that's great news.

If not, or you have any more questions related to this thread, please feel free to post them below including any new symptoms or errors and tick the 'Mark as Not Resolved (re-open)' box below the post area (or else we'll miss it!)

Otherwise, happy days, glad you got it sorted :slight_smile:

Thank you for being a WPMU DEV Community Member!

Cheers, Joe

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.