Snapshot and Managed Backups are failing on my site

I have a multisite and each time I try to create a complete Snapshot or a Managed backup I get errors and they are not created. I was only able to create a only-databases snapshot.

If trying to create a Snapshot for the main site, it fails after reaching the /plugins folder and returns a “Gateway Timeout” error.

If trying to run a Managed Backup, it fails at about 82-87% and returns a “500 - Internal Server Error”.

Max execution time is set to 0, memory limit to 768M, I’m running PHP 7.1.21 and the entire multisite, excluding a wp-content-uploads/snapshot folder, is less than 1GB in size.

• Konstantinos Xenos

Hi Pablo Culebras !

After inspecting your installation I've found that you're running another backup plugin as well. This has created it's own folder into /uploads/ that has an 1.8gb and a 3.6gb files in it.

I've added some settings into your wp-config.php / functions.php and excluded the extra backup folder from Snapshot Settings and run 2 managed and 2 local backups and they have been successful. I've also kept logging on just in case there's a future error so we can take a closer look.

What the changes are:
    SNAPSHOT_FILESET_LARGE_FILE_SIZE: enable logging
    SNAPSHOT_FILESET_LARGE_FILE_SIZE: report any large file over 200mb in logs
    snapshot_queue_fileset_reject_oversized: exclude large files from the backups ( if you want you can change the define number ( bytes ) to anything that fits your installation ).

wp-config.php

/* Snapshot defines - Xenos Konstantinos WPMU DEV  */
    define( 'SNAPSHOT_BACKTRACE_ALL', true );
    define( 'SNAPSHOT_FILESET_LARGE_FILE_SIZE', 200000000 );

functions.php

/* Snapshot defines - Xenos Konstantinos WPMU DEV  */
    add_filter('snapshot_queue_fileset_reject_oversized', '__return_false');

I hope this helps and resolved the issue, inform us of any other mishaps so we can take a look again!

Regards,
    Konstantinos

• Pablo Culebras

Hi Konstantinos, thank you very much for those tweaks, it seems the plugin works fine now. My only concern now is that those modifications in the wp-config.php and functions.php files might get lost if I update the WP version... what should I do to avoid that? would it be enough to store a copy of those modified files somewhere in my computer and substitute with them the new generated wp-config.php and functions.php files? or those new generated WP files would include also other modifications related to the WP update that could get lost if I substitute them with the older modified php files?

Thank you very much
    Pablo

• Konstantinos Xenos

Hey Pablo Culebras ,

The wp-config.php never changes throughout updates as it holds all of the information of your installation basically and it needs to be there permanently to use any aspect of WordPress. It's a generated file via the first WordPress installation and stays there for as long as you're using it. As for the functions.php I saw that you are using a 'child' theme so that's good and that theme should pretty much again be modified manually by you only -or- a developer that might do some work for you, there shouldn't be any 'automatic' updates touching those files and if there might be ( as I'm not sure how your theme works ) it should inform you first and respect the code that is already in there.

Although you're pretty safe, I'm not the type of guy that say's 100% so just a simple note of those 3 additions would suffice for future reference ( but those might as well change depending your installation etc that's why I've explained what they do as well so you can delete/modify them as needed ) -or- as always you can again get in touch with us here for a helping hand!

Regards,
    Konstantinos

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.