Snapshot and wpsmush errors after upgrading to WP 4.7

Attempting to simply display the login page produced a number of Snapshot referenced errors after upgrading to WP 4.7. One admin was able to login (he also got the errors) and managed to disable Snapshot. Then WPSmush referenced errors displayed. He disabled WP-Smush and now we see no more errors. Here's what these errors looked like:
Notice: Indirect modification of overloaded element of WP_Hook has no effect in /home/wptestingdomain/public_html/wp-content/plugins/snapshot/lib/WPMUDEV/Dashboard/wpmudev-dash-notification.php on line 58

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/wptestingdomain/public_html/wp-content/plugins/snapshot/lib/WPMUDEV/Dashboard/wpmudev-dash-notification.php:58) in /home/wptestingdomain/public_html/wp-includes/pluggable.php on line 1179

Notice: Indirect modification of overloaded element of WP_Hook has no effect in /home/wptestingdomain/public_html/wp-content/plugins/wp-smush-pro/extras/dash-notice/wpmudev-dash-notification.php on line 58

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/wptestingdomain/public_html/wp-content/plugins/wp-smush-pro/extras/dash-notice/wpmudev-dash-notification.php:58) in /home/wptestingdomain/public_html/wp-includes/option.php on line 828

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/wptestingdomain/public_html/wp-content/plugins/wp-smush-pro/extras/dash-notice/wpmudev-dash-notification.php:58) in /home/wptestingdomain/public_html/wp-includes/option.php on line 829

• Vaughan
    • Support/SLS MockingJay

Hi Kevin,

Hope you're well?

these are known errors, though they are notices so shouldn't prevent the plugins working. However, the headers alreadysent error which will cause a break, is due to the WP_DEBUG output being output to screen itself,

It is always better due to that issue to write errors to afile instead of displaying them on screen.

You can do this by adding the following to wp-config.php

Make sure WP_DEBUG is set to false, then add the following lines below it so it looks like:

define('WP_DEBUG', false);
    define( 'WP_DEBUG_LOG', true );
    define( 'WP_DEBUG_DISPLAY', false );

Now, debug notices should be written to a file caled debug.log in your /wp-content folder.

You should only set WP_DEBUG to true when you are testing something.

Hopefully these notices will be fixed in the next updates.

Hope this helps

• Kevin
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

Ok. Thanks. This may be a stupid question, but we are on a GoDaddy VPS and whenever we change the w-config.php (or any file for that matter), the file reverts to it's original content within a minute (sometimes longer). How do we make the changes stick?

• Vaughan
    • Support/SLS MockingJay

Hi,

Make sure the write permissions are set correctly on the wp-config.php file & that you are logging into FTP using same owner as the files.

It should be 644

It might be easier in some cases to use the CPanel filemanager to edit.

I'm not familiar with Godaddy VPS at all

Hope this helps

• Kevin
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

Hey, my developer fixed the WPMUDEV code to upgrade to the published 4.7 comments to replace deregister_hook in wpmudev-dash-notifications.php

remove_action( 'init', 'WPMUDEV_Dashboard_Notice3');
    remove_action( 'plugins_loaded', 'WPMUDEV_Dashboard_Notice3');
    /*$this->deregister_hook( 'init', 'WPMUDEV_Dashboard_Notice3', 'init', 10 );
    $this->deregister_hook( 'plugins_loaded', 'WPMUDEV_Dashboard_Notice3', 'init', 10 );*/

• caramiame
    • Flash Drive

Hi, Kevin - thanks for providing this, very nice of you to share it! I got the errors today and Vaugn's wp-config debug settings worked to hide the issue. I am making some customizations and can read php enough to see what is going on but really the need debugging for all the syntax i don't know... Is this good to go as the official fix now for the issue on the wpmu end and can somebody tell me if I have a problem with my download in that I don't have "wpmudev-dash-notifications.php" file or point me to it's location? I have update_notifications.php and class-wpmudev-dashboard-notice - where is the one you edit? Thanks for any help in advance...

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.