[SNAPSHOT] AWS destination issue

When I try to connect to AWS via destination I get this error:
Error: Send file failed :400 : The authorization mechanism you have provided is not supported. Please use AWS4-HMAC-SHA256.

• Leonidas

Hello there Mike Anderson ,

I tried to log in to your WP admin in order to investigate your issue, but seems that the credentials you've shared for it aren't correct. Also, using the FTP credentials you've shared, there is nothing in the root folder for that FTP account. I would need to have access in the WP directory, at least.

In order to help you better with your issue, would you please grant me access to your site and server so I can perform some advanced debugging? Since this is a public thread, you should share this information via our contact form, according to the instructions below:

Please visit the Contact page and complete the form with the following information:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/contact/#i-have-a-different-question

Option: I have a different Question

Subject: "Attn: Leonidas Milosis"

In the Message box, please provide the following:

- link back to this thread for reference
    - any other relevant urls

- Admin login:
    Admin username
    Admin password
    Login url

- Hosting Control Panel Login
    Admin username
    Admin password
    Login url

~OR~

- FTP credentials
    host
    username
    password
    (and port if required)

Best regards,
    Leonidas

• Leonidas

Hi Mike Anderson ,

I hope you're having a great day :slight_smile:

After you provided access to your site, I went back and checked what the issue might be. The original error message you posted in the thread appears when the user tries to connect to a AWS region that doesn't support Snapshot's native authorization mechanism. All the regions that appear as options in Snapshot's screen when you create a AWS S3 destination are all using Snapshot's native authorization mechanism, so there won't be a problem trying to create a destination at those regions.

I had some internal notes saying that you were trying to create a AWS destination to a bucket located in the US Standard region (s3.amazonaws.com) when you were getting this error message, is that correct? US Standard region is supported in Snapshot, so I tried to create a AWS destination on your site, to a bucket of mine located in the US Standard region and managed to both create the destination and complete a snapshot backup that got sent in my AWS S3 US Standard region bucket.

Mind you that US Standard region has been renamed to US East (N. Virginia) at AWS docs and services, so if you have a bucket located in US East (N. Virginia), you can select US Standard region in Snapshot during the destination creation and the process will be completed seamlessly.

Best regards,
    Leonidas

• Mike Anderson

Hi,

I was actually trying to use Canada(Central) for my bucket, I am guessing the authorisation is at the root of the problem.
    I will create a bucket in the standard region and use that for now, is there any idea when the Canada bucket authorisations will work? It is currently not an issue but I have a client coming on board who cannot have there data stored outside Canada.

Thanks for all the assistance,
    Mike

• Leonidas

Hi there Mike Anderson ,

adding all AWS S3 regions is something that is definitely in our roadmap for Snapshot. Unfortunately, since there are some parameters that need to be taken care of, I can't give you an estimation on when that might be.

I know that this might be inconvenient for you, but you do have the option to have other types of destinations that don't have this kind of regional limitations, eg. FTP destinations.

Thank you for your patience in this.

Best regards,
    Leonidas

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.