Snapshot - back up - I can use it for MU site?

Can I use snapshot in the same manner as a single blog website for a MU website? I am just finishing up a single blog, and my next step is a MU site.

Thanks

Joe

• Joseph Hogan

OK' then how would you do it?

1 - I install a new MU site.

I have the following sites:

domain.com
    domain.com/1
    domain.com/2

Snapshot takes a snapshot of each site individually? Or, so I take a snapshot of the newwork dashboard first, then on of each site? I was under the impression that I make a "snapshot" of the site, including the plug ins, themes, etc...

But, if I take a snap shot of each one, one at a time, it will grab the themes/plug-ins for each individual sites.

How will it grab all the themes/plus ins I have for the whole network?

Sorry to ask these questions, I just do not see how taking a snapshot of each individual site will rebuild the whole. Some plug ins/themes are no currently used, so which snapshot would grab those?

They should have a description on the plug in page to describe the use of snapshot in MU sites.

Thanks

Joe

• Paul

@Joseph Hogan,

By design Snapshot does not backup the whole Multisite system. The reason for this is for two reasons. 1) Because every other backup tool does this only. So for Snapshot we wanted to provide an alternative to backup the individual sub-site. And 2) We work with many members who run very large Multisite system. With dozens or thousands of sub-sites there is just no way to do a complete back. And it you are able to perform a complete backup the archive would simply be massive. not to mention it you needed to restore a single broken site it would be next to impossible to extract that one sub-site from the archive. You would in effect need to perform a full restore.

On to your questions...

Snapshot takes a snapshot of each site individually?

Correct. When you go to your Network > Snapshots > Add New you will see the form showing details to select various options to include in the backup. At the top you till see a section allowing you to select the primary site (default) or some sub-site. See the 'Change' button?

But, if I take a snap shot of each one, one at a time, it will grab the themes/plug-ins for each individual sites.

When you backup the primary site it will have the options under Files to include the Themes, Plugins, wp-config.php and .htaccess. But when you backup a sub-site only the media uploads are included in the archive.

They should have a description on the plug in page to describe the use of snapshot in MU sites.

Probably. But I thought it was sort of obvious from the Add New form. It is all there.