Snapshot backup archive missing files

There is a Snapshot ("Snapshot -> Snapshots") on the Multisite running daily. It's set to backup main site of the Multisite. It seems to be running fine but the backup files (they're sent to Googe Drive) seems too small.

The Snapshot log shows that all the files from /uploads folder for that site are being processed. However, the same files cannot be found in the downloaded backup archive.

• James Morris

Hello Michael,

I hope you are well today. I'll be following up with you regarding your chat.

When performing a Snapshot of your primary domain, not everything inside uploads gets backed up. There are some folder exclusions. To verify this, I took a Snapshot of my primary domain. Then, using the tar command, I made a manual backup of the uploads directory on my multisite install. The following image shows the differences.

Of course, Snapshot always excludes it's own working directory in uploads, but also it excludes any assets that do not belong to the site currently being backed up. So, the sites folder, which contains all the uploads for all subsites gets excluded. And in this case pdf-cache gets excluded because it's for a plugin that's not active on the primary domain.

This could explain the variation in size you are seeing. Snapshot does not do a full backup of all files in your installation. Managed Backups does. Snapshots only takes backups of your plugins, themes, uploads and database tables that are associated with the current site. In this case, the primary domain.

I hope this clarifies a bit. Let us know if you have any further questions. We'll be happy to help! :slight_smile:

Best regards,

James Morris

• Michael

The issue is most likely with disk space. I ran out of space on my server and then simply went in and deleted my Snapshots and recovered 68 GB (!!!!!!).

Is there a setting to not save the backups locally if they are saved to Google Drive, for instance?

I'm not sure what the best course of action is. if I am backing up my site every day then this is not practical. I don't want to have to go in and delete Snapshots manually. I want everything to be automated. Suggestions?

• Ash

Hello Michael

In addition to above, you can limit the number of instances to save locally. For example, if you set 3, then only last three backups will be in locally, older ones will be removed automatically.

To do so, when you set the frequency of a snapshot, you can set the limit there. Please check the screenshot below:

If you put zero in there, that means unlimited, and all the backup archives will be stored.

Have a nice day!

Cheers,
    Ash

• Michael

Well, there's something unclear here. I am backup to Google Drive, and I have 1 TB of storage, so my preference is to keep an unlimited number of backups on that drive. Locally I only have 100 GB of storage, so I would like to limit local backups to 3 or 4. The wording for the setting you indicate says:

"By default, Snapshot will run as many scheduled backups as you need. We recommend that you remove older backups to avoid filling your DESTINATION's storage limit. If you would like to keep all of your snapshot archives, just set your storage limit to 0."

So, if I limit to 3 backups locally, does that mean that older backups on my destination drive will be deleted? If not, the wording should be changed to say avoid filling your SERVER's storage limit--or, as implied, will older backups on the destination drive be deleted automatically?

• Kasia Swiderska

Hello Michael,

Limit set in Snapshot is for local storage - so setting 3 will only work on local server, from local server older backups will be automatically deleted.
    At this moment there is no option to limit snapshots on remote destination - it is unlimited (we have this on Snapshot roadmap to set the limits for remote destinations). So on destination old backups need to be deleted manually.
    I checked that message and it can create confusion with storage limit. I send message to developers about that - that this need different wording than now.

kind regards,
    Kasia

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.