Snapshot backup does not work

I tried making a local snapshot backup but it did not work and gives this error:
"Site is facing technical Difficulty"

• Adam Czajczyk
    • Support Gorilla

Hello Max

I hope you're well today and thank you for your question!

I checked your site and after some changes Snapshot (as in "Snapshot -> Snapshots") seem to be running fine and quite fast actually. I also checked backup files created and they seem fine too.

The changes that I made were just two simple tweaks:

1) I checked PHP configuration on site and noticed that "max_execution_time" was only 30 seconds; that's way to little for backup so I raised it to 300 via php.ini file.

2) the memory limit was already raised to more than reasonable 512M but it was only set for PHP. With WordPress it's a bit different because WP itself is further limiting it and in case of a single WP install the default limit is mere 40M. This was casing "Fatal Error" related to memory limit. I've increased that via "wp-config.php" file.

With these two changes, snapshots are running fine.

I'm not sure yet about Managed Backups though. It looks like they are running, there's no error in logs and in browser console and yet, the file is definitely not complete and corrupted. But I do see that today there was a Managed Backup run that actually does seem to be a full backup (aside from not being uploaded to The Hub) - did you run that or it's one from tests during the chats?

Did you make any changes to the site or server configuration meanwhile - between the chat with Prathamesh and now?

Let me know please.

Kind regards,
    Adam

• Max
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hi Adam.
    Thank you for your answer and your help.
    You are right. It is working now and I am happy that the solution was that easy.

I just tried to do a managed backup to see if this would work. But it also failed… but i tried this also before the chat not during.
    I am happy that the Snapshots are working now. So thanks for the solution.
    Best
    Max

• Adam Czajczyk
    • Support Gorilla

HI Max

Thank you for response and I'm glad I could help!

I understand that working snapshots are just fine for you, right? If you want me to investigate the Managed Backups anyway, that's okay - just let me know and I'll be happy to focus on that now. Or, if you'd rather get back to it later in future - that's fine too, we can "jump back in" at anytime :slight_smile:

Best regards,
    Adam

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.