Snapshot backup failed on shared hosting

I have constant issues with running automated snapshots on any of my websites. Managed and regular snapshot both fail and knocks the websites offline whilst a backup is running and it's usually when it hits the files (media) backup.

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Emlyn

I hope you're well today and thank you for your question!

I checked your site and it actually looks like there are quite low limits on I/O resource usage on the server so this might be a source of the problem (I/O means all the read/write operations on a server, so e.g. reading-writing files etc).

That said, I've made some additional tweaks to the Snapshot Pro configuration in order to lower the resource usage a bit (via the "wp-config.php" file of you "tage....mru" site) and it seemed like the Managed Backup worked.

However, I got logged out after getting to well over 30% of the backup so I wasn't able to test it to the end. I would have to start the "once off" backup again and keep the site open, and take care of reloading wp-admin in a second browser tab in order to avoid being kicked off. With the changes that I made, the process is much slower though and it would take hours. Additionally, the process running in back-end should actually use a bit less resources.

That being said, let's give it another test and see if it will complete this time: currently the backup is schedule to be run automatically on weekly basis so let's let it run in background and see what happens. To speed up process, please feel free to change the schedule to daily on "Snapshot -> Managed Backups" page.

The WP debugging on the site is still enabled and I have also enabled additional logs for Snapshot itself so in case the scheduled backup doesn't complete anyway, let me know here please (make sure that support access will be still granted then) and I'll investigate this further.

Kind regards,
    Adam

• Emlyn

Hi Adam,

Thank you very much for this! I will try running it again to see if that's done it. I will discuss with my hosting provider to see if there's anything we can do to improve the I/O operations - I suspected it would be something like that to be honest.

I see in the roadmap that snapsot will have an improvement to improve how it works on shared hosts - would that help me in the future do you think?

Many thanks,

Emlyn

• Adam Czajczyk

Hi Emlyn!

I see in the roadmap that snapsot will have an improvement to improve how it works on shared hosts - would that help me in the future do you think?

I hope so :slight_smile: That's the goal at least :slight_smile: The backup process can be, unfortunately, quite "resource hungry" and on some shared hosts that might indeed be causing I/0 and/or memory/CPU usage to go to high so our developers are working on making the "engine" more "friendly" for limited-resources environments :slight_smile:

Anyway, keep me updated please, I'll keep my fingers crossed :slight_smile:
    Best regards,
    Adam

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.