Snapshot backup Gateway timeout

I am hosting my site with siteground. When I started a backup yesterday, it got to 100% a few times, but then gives an error. And today it got to about 35% then gives an error. I can't have reached any limited yet as my storage show that I have used 4.8GB of your 10GB. How is this possible if it says I haven't done any backups, so I don't know what is taking up that space. The usage still shows 0/10GB.

• Dimitris

Hey there Sam Caprar,

hope you're doing good today!

I just went ahead and accessed your cPanel environment and I have the following addition in order to increase the max_execution_time to 300.

I then went ahead and excluded the backup folder of Updraft plugin, as any other large backup files may interfere here and cause the aforementioned timeouts.

This resulted managed backups to go up to 100%, but then the error were still showing up and backup file never uploaded to our cloud servers.

Is there maybe any other large file in your uploads folder that I might not find it yet?
    We could try to exclude any large files, let's say larger than 100MB, to see if that makes any difference in the end.

Last step was to insert the followings definition in wp-config.php file and give this another try.

define('SNAPSHOT_FILESET_CHUNK_SIZE', 10);
    define('SNAPSHOT_TABLESET_CHUNK_SIZE', 100);
    define('SNAPSHOT_FILESET_USE_PRECACHE', true);
    define('SNAPSHOT_FILESET_LARGE_FILE_SIZE', 104857600); //100MB

Unfortunately this didn't make any difference, managed backups were unable to resolve successfully, so I've already created a ticket for our SLS team to have a second look in your system.

As long as they have some valuable feedback on this, we'll update this forum thread with our insights. Your patience on this is highly appreciated!

Warm regards,
    Dimitris

• Mahlamusa

Hello Sam,

I hope you are doing great today and sorry for the issues you are having with Snapshot plugin. I have accessed your WordPress admin and cPanel to try and test what could be the issue causing Snapshot to fail.

I have tried to raise the resource limits on cPanel's "PHP Variables Manager" page. Usually, this should allow us to change the values such as PHP memory_limit, max_exection time etc. We need to do this because Snapshot has a minimum recommended execution time of 150 seconds. So I went ahead and tried to change these values but after changing them, I checked the system info and it seems my changes are entirely ignored.

Here is what I have set to:

And when I check using phpinfo() function I see the following values:

This shows that the values set in the "PHP Variables Manager" are ignored by the server. Usually, in most hosting environment the server should respect user defined variables but it seems this one doesn't. Snapshot specifies that it needs at least 150 seconds execution time but the server only defaults to 120 and ignores all other efforts to define these values:

Additionally, on your website's files in the plugins folder, specifically the 'all-in-one-wp-migration/storage' there are two folders each one containing huge backups stored by the All in One WP Migration plugin.

Since these files are inside a plugin, Snapshot assumes they are part of the plugin and tries to archive them, unfortunately it will have issues with such huge files so I suggest they be removed or moved out of the public_html folder. This may cause Snapshot to timeout when processing huge files.

If possible, I suggest you contact your host about changing the limits on your server using the PHP Variables Manager, basically the changes are not effective, I had to use ini_set function in the 'wp-config.php' file, but this method does not seem to overcome all the limits. You may like to refer them to this post here or for your own information, this is basically another site with the same symptoms as your site and also on the same host, probably the same underlying issues.

I hope this helps. Please let us know your host's response.

Cheers,
    Mahlamusa