Snapshot backup in the wrong directory

Hello. I'm trying to setup Snapshot plugin correctly in order to save a backup of each Subsite on their own folder.

I've set up a destination sFTP server with a remote path of /home/user . Folder permissions are 777 (recursively to the folder's subfolders/files).

Then, I'm creating a new snapshot for a specific site applying all the settings that I want. On the backup destination setting I choose the sFTP server that I set up earlier and on the directory I'm using the path /home/user/hee-backup/test. Both folders hee-backup/ and test/ already exist, with 777 permissions. But the snapshot is saved on /home/user folder, and the error log says:

2016-05-30 10:50:45: Login success.
2016-05-30 10:50:45: Home/Root: /home/user/
2016-05-30 10:50:45: Changing Directory: /home/user/hee-backup/test
2016-05-30 10:50:45: sFTP: Failed to MKDIR: /home/user/hee-backup/test
2016-05-30 10:50:45: PUT file success: snapshot-1462794488-160530-104944-f254c823.zip

Why does it try to mkdir? And why does it fail, since permission is 777?
Same thing happened when I tried to use a non-existing folder (/home/user/hee-backup/test2)

Any help?

• Predrag Dubajic

Hey Alex,

Hope you're doing well today :slight_smile:

This issue usually happens when the path is incorrect, the folder doesn't exist on your server or permissions are not correct.
    Since you already checked this it looks like something else is happening here, it's quite possible that there's some server configuration not allowing snapshot to use sFTP protocol, could you get in touch with your hosting provider and check with them if this is indeed the case?

Looking forward to your response.

Best regards,
    Predrag

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Alex!

It seems that my colleague Predrag haven't heard from Snapshot developer yet but he'll let you know as soon as he gets the replay.

Meanwhile, I'd like you to run one more simple test. Please enable WP debugging feature by adding following lines to your site's "wp-config.php" file:

define('WP_DEBUG',true);
    define('WP_DEBUG_LOG',true);

Once this is done please run the snapshot again and then:

- if there are any additional errors thrown on screen, please copy them and past in your replay here
    - access your server via FTP, download the "/wp-content/debug.log" file, rename the file to "debug.txt" and attach it to your replay here as well.

In case of "debug" file please review it first and if there are any sensitive informatin (such as db credentials and similar) please strip them out before posting.

Best regards,
    Adam

• Alex

Hello and thanks for the effort!

I'm on a nginx configuration, so the log file is written in the nginx's log file.
    The only error that happened today was the following, which i'm guessing its irrelevant but:

2016/05/31 06:56:03 [error] 24980#0: *97799 open() "/[PATH-TO-HTDOCS]/.well-known/apple-app-site-association" failed (2: No such file or directory), client: 173.245.XXX.XXX, server: YYY.com, request: "GET /.well-known/apple-app-site-association HTTP/1.1", host: "ZZZ.com"

As for the Snapshot log, still the same

2016-05-31 18:46:28: Login success.
    2016-05-31 18:46:28: Home/Root: /home/user/
    2016-05-31 18:46:28: Changing Directory: /home/user/hee-backup/test2
    2016-05-31 18:46:28: sFTP: Failed to MKDIR: /home/user/hee-backup/test2
    2016-05-31 18:46:28: PUT file success: snapshot-1462794488-160531-184538-88dfe8c7.zip
  • Milan

Hey Alex,

One noticeable error we can separate from this is

sFTP: Failed to MKDIR: /home/user/hee-backup/test2

This indicates that Snapshot Pro is not able to create directories. Snapshot Pro can't create the directory then there is probable chance that FTP user authority is such it cannot create the directory on the remote server. Check the FTP user permissions. Check that the FTP user home directory (or destination path) is writeable for the FTP user.

If everything seems okay to you here then, You would need to discuss this with your host provider because Snapshot Pro does not actually control the FTP/SFTP protocol. It just uses what the server allows per its own configurations.

Cheers,
    Milan

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.