Snapshot Backup is not running

Backup is not running for my site. I have tried from Hub and also from Admin. I tried to check the Local Storage option and it throws this error.

“This request takes too long to process, it is timed out by the server. If it should not be timed out, please contact administrator of this web site to increase ‘Connection Timeout’. “

• Adam Czajczyk
    • Support Gorilla

Hello Amit

I hope you’re doing fine today!

It seems that in case of his specific site (or rather server) the main issue is a low and strict I/O limit. Backup always breaks on files step, without any “specific location” (like e.g. specific upload sub-folder or the same file always) – instead the I/O usage goes up to the limit pretty much instantly when backup process starts processing files.

On this server the I/O limit is set to only 2MB/s and gets hit really fast. This is something that we can’t do much about in case of “snapshots” (as in “Snapshot -> snapshots”:wink: and if host doesn’t allow increasing that limit – most shared hosts, unfortunately, do not – I’m afraid there’s not much that could be done.

What we could do instead, would be to try setting up Managed Backups. I see that Managed Backups (“Snapshot -> Managed Backup’:wink: are disabled currently so I think you could activate them and give them a try.

If those fail as well I could try tweak the plugin a bit as, unlike with “snapshots”, there are some additional options that are worth trying and may help. Would you give it a try?

Kind regards,

Adam

• Amit
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hello,

I have activated the managed backup and tried running a backup and got this “This request takes too long to process, it is timed out by the server. If it should not be timed out, please contact administrator of this web site to increase ‘Connection Timeout’.

• Adam Czajczyk
    • Support Gorilla

Hello Amit

I should have been a bit more specific, I’m sorry for causing confusion.

By asking if you’d be willing to give ‘Managed Backups” a try I meant mostly if you agree for me to give it a go and try to tweak it to see if I can make it work. Since you have already given it a try by yourself, I take it as a yes then.

Those “additional options” that I mentioned are some specific configuration settings that can be added via the “wp-config.php” file to lower impact of the backup process on the resource usage. Mostly that comes down to making “Managed Backup” process data in smaller “chunks”, use different methods of creating backup archive file and and processing files lists.

That being said, I’ve accessed the site again and worked with it. Unfortunately, every tweaks that I tried – that usually help – didn’t work in this case and sooner or later during the process the I/O usage still jumped up above the server limit, causing the process to break.

While testing backup, I did also notice that the I/O usage jumps up pretty high sometimes even if no backup process is running so that might suggest that there’s – at least at some moments – pretty high load on server anyway. But still that’s a bit different because during file backup the I/O usage is continuously high and it stays above the small 2MB/s limit for too long for plugin to “recover” from that.

I’ve already reverted the tweaks that I did. They wouldn’t affect any other aspect of site performance anyway as they would be ignored by WP itself and other plugins but since they didn’t help there’s also no point in keeping unnecessary lines in wp-config.php file.

I’m afraid that in this case there’s not much more that we could do with this. Since neither “snapshots” nor “managed backups” can’t be tweaked to go “below” the I/O limit on server, there’s no other way to lower that usage which, I’m afraid, means that in this particular case (this site on this server) it won’t work.

That doesn’t mean that other sites on the same server or the same site but on different server wouldn’t work – that would have to be tested (e.g. by setting up the staging site on a different server).

We’re working on a huge refactor of entire Snapshot code to make it all more “unified”, more “tweakable” and less “resource-hungry” in order to avoid such issues in future, though that’s a big development work that might take quite some time.

Kind regards,
    Adam

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.