Snapshot: Broken pipe when attempting full backup WITH media uploads included.

Hello!

I have support access opened for the associated domain in case you need it for this problem...

My snapshot full backups (all files and database, including upload media) were working fine for quite a while, but recently I noticed them failing. The site is fairly static and nothing has been added since the backups were working until now when they are failing - no new users, no new media.

In troubleshooting, I found that a database only backup, or a backup to include all files *except* media uploads ran fine. But my full backup *with* media uploads doesn't complete and the log is clean until this:

======================================
2015-01-07 03:06:30: backupZipFolder[]
2015-01-07 03:06:30: rename: backupZipFile[/home/newsav5/public_html/4and6designs/wp-content/uploads/snapshots/_backup/1417360718/snapshot-backup.zip] backupZipFileFinal[/home/newsav5/public_html/4and6designs/wp-content/uploads/snapshots/snapshot-1417360718-150107-065256-230a552e.zip]
2015-01-07 03:06:30: memory limit: 256M: memory usage current: 57.41M: memory usage peak: 60.82M
2015-01-07 03:06:30: finish: snapshot-1417360718-150107-065256-230a552e.zip
2015-01-07 03:06:30: Notice: errno:8 mysql_query(): send of 93 bytes failed with errno=32 Broken pipe /home/newsav5/public_html/4and6designs/wp-includes/wp-db.php on line 1663
2015-01-07 03:06:30: Warning: errno:2 Error while sending QUERY packet. PID=36096 /home/newsav5/public_html/4and6designs/wp-includes/wp-db.php on line 1663
2015-01-07 03:06:30: archive cleanup: max archive:4 number of archives: 5
2015-01-07 03:06:30: archive cleanup: DEBUG :disappointed:home/newsav5/public_html/4and6designs/wp-content/uploads/snapshots
2015-01-07 03:06:30: DEBUG: backupFile=[/home/newsav5/public_html/4and6designs/wp-content/uploads/snapshots/snapshot-1417360718-141130-151838-21aa116c.zip]
2015-01-07 03:06:30: archive cleanup: filename: wp-content/uploads/snapshots/snapshot-1417360718-141130-151838-21aa116c.zip not found
=================================

Thanks for any help or insight!

James

• Bojan Radonic

Hey there @James Wolfensberger, hope you're well today!

Sorry to hear you're having issues with the plugin. Since everything worked before do you recall what was the last thing you did before this started happening?

Did you try to check for possible plugin conflicts, try testing for a conflict by following the flowchart on this page here:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/manuals/using-wpmu-dev/getting-support/

Also could you please revoke and grant support access again I'm getting invalid access token message.

Looking forward for your reply.

Best regards,
    Bojan

• George

Hey James, mind if ask which alternate solution you went with?
    Maybe its me not reading all the docs sometimes and just trying to figure things out but from my experiences in using different backup plugins Its seems that none that I have used always work 100% of the time on every site.

Haven't experimented much with multisite yet but for backing up & cloning/moving & my single sites its quicker for me to to just do it manually in cpanel and use a search & replace plugin. Its not automated and it takes a few minutes but works every time.

BTW, thanks for the heads up on the log file, right in from me doh :slight_smile:

• James Wolfensberger

Hi George,

Caveat to any reader: I am *not* WPMU support staff. :slight_smile:

I have a few ideas for you. I use each these for different reasons. I often use a combination of these backups for redundancy. Anytime that I can automate Softaculous backups, I typically include them in my backup strategy along with other backup methods because restoration from Softaculous backups is so fast and - in my experience - reliable.

---------------------

BACKUPBUDDY PLUGIN

On my shared hosting accounts, I've had good luck with a solution from iThemes which is a combination of their iThemes Sync and BackupBuddy. There tech support is excellent, but it is a paid plugin.

Sync: https://ithemes.com/sync/
    BackupBuddy: https://ithemes.com/purchase/backupbuddy/

You can schedule and do on-demand backups with ease.

---------------------

SOFTACULOUS

When I have a WordPress installation that was installed from Softaculous, I use its automated backup schedule. This is typically an "advanced" setting when you first install your WordPress via Softaculous. Some hosts seem to disable this feature... if they have not, you go into your list of Softaculous installations, choose the "edit" button/icon, and then you can add automated backups.

Before I make significant changes to a site, I often run a quick Softaculous backup.

----------------------

VPS BACKUPS

On my most critical site which is on a VPS server, in addition to Softaculous, I use the automated backup system within the WHM panel. Because these are full account backups, they are large. VPS accounts have limited disk space, so it's usually necessary to observe the impact of your backup schedule and retention policy to see how much disk space it consumes.

----------------------

CHECK WITH YOUR HOST (IT MIGHT BE WORTH IT!)

I also always recommend that if you have a host that actually answers questions in a substantive manner, open a support ticket and make sure that you are aware of all of their backup/recovery measures and options. Some might be a bit buried in their system. It's also nice to know if they claim to willingly restore your entire account from a previous day in the event that you discover a corrupted site. In my experience, many claim that they will make a "best effort" to help you recover a site from their own internal backups, but that per their terms of service, they are not obligated to do so.

-----------------------

MANAGEWP

I also like ManageWP's backup/recovery/clone/migrate concept. It's worth having a look at. I'm considering using it to centralize backups of multiple sites in the same manner that iThemes Sync/BackupBuddy works for me.

----------------------

SNAPSHOT

Re: Snapshot... I like the product a lot. But a lack of notifications and occasional failures isn't confidence inspiring. That said, I've found that the WPMU tech support rarely fails to find a solution as long as I'm willing to stick with them and work through it. I'm going to be watching for an update to Snapshot that includes notifications. When that happens, I'll try it again.

----------------------

GETTING YOUR BACKUPS OFF THE HOST SERVER

I imagine most admins consider their host to be highly reliable in that if you are using a backup system that saves the backup files locally to your account's folder structure (like Softaculous does), even if your WordPress site gets clobbered, those backup files will be there for you.

But it remains highly advisable to get your backups offloaded from your host, saved to either your own local computer/LAN or some other account in the Cloud (DropBox, Amazon, etc.). You can decide how often you want your backups to offload from your hosting account... for example, it might make sense for you to offload your weekly backup, or your monthly, depending on how static your site may be. For critical sites, I offload even daily backups. The idea is that even though hosts are generally reliable, have a lot of liability that compels them to have their own rock-solid backup systems, plus they have redundancy, I want to know that if they get nuked and there is an extreme delay, that I have the option of recovering or moving my site at will because I have backups that aren't on their servers.

Some sites - in spite of being WordPress "blogging" technology - are so consistently static that a monthly backup might be enough, and that backup might make the most sense as an on-demand backup from CPanel that you can then download.

Just like Snapshot, many backup options provide the ability to push the backup files to another location. I admittedly push backups to one of my super cheap "unlimited" shared hosting accounts where I don't have any critical sites that can't easily be moved, which might - ahem - be against their Terms of Service in spite of the fact that they claim "unlimited" OwnCloud features (for example), but I don't let the backups populate their disk space indefinitely, and frankly, if that cheap host were to cancel my account over it, I'd have other options :wink:

----------------------

OVERKILL

I've been administering server systems since '91, and as long as a backup strategy doesn't impact server performance negatively, I believe in a minimum of two backup types (meaning executed from different software). I've had situations, for example, when I needed to restore quickly and while BackupBuddy gave me complications, rather than waiting for their tech support to help me resolve the issue, a different backup/restore got the job done. Overkill with backups helps me sleep at night. :slight_smile:

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.